Recommended moss to use for aquarium bonsai? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Recommended moss to use for aquarium bonsai?

Hi guys! This is my first post on here, so sorry if I'm not in the right spot for this question.

I'm looking to make an aquarium bonsai for my 10g betta tank. Problem is, I have no idea what moss to use for the "leaves". I know I don't want java moss, but aside from that, I've been bouncing all over the place. I've considered fissidens fontanus, Christmas and mini Christmas moss, peacock moss, mini Taiwan moss, and a few others. I really like fissidens fontanus, but I keep my betta tank at 79-80 degrees, and I feel like that's a little too warm for it. My tank is low tech, so I'm looking for a moss that would work okay in that kind of environment, along with one that isn't too difficult to take care of/keep alive.

Does anybody know how well fissidens fontanus would grow in the warmer waters my betta needs? Or do you have any other mosses you'd recommend for a natural-looking aquarium bonsai?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drop the temp down to about 75-77 and the fissidens should do fine. I'm basing this on the fact that I have 2 tanks: 1) a low tech low/med light at 77 degrees 2) a high tech med/high light at 82 degrees. The fissidens is growing quite well in the low tech tank and is just sort of sitting there in the high tech tank. I knew that my high tech tank was too warm for fissidens but as an experiment I wanted to see if the extra light and CO2 would allow it to do ok. So far, it's not dying but it's also not "fanning out" like it should be.

So yeah, drop your temp a few degrees and you should be set. Your betta won't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
advice needed, aquarium bonsai tree, betta fish, moss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode