2Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
How effective are UV lights on the SunSun filters?

Since these filters are built cheaply(they get the job done for the price) compared to other filters out there how do their UV lights compare? Are all UV lights equal?

If mine burnt out is it worth replacing? Can they be replaced with better bulbs?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I was never one who thought the UV light would be worth much. My experience was with UV water purifiers for hiking or travel. Those require keeping the water exposed to the UV for way longer, like a minute. So my thinking was that simply running it by a UV at the speed of water flow would make it not worth much.
But I did see the value in the Sunsun enough to try a 304B which does come with the UV. That left me having one when I suddenly created a green cloud in a tank. Amazing! The cloud was gone overnight. It did come back when I turned the light off but less. The next day I turned the light on and left it for a couple days and the green was totally gone and has stayed gone with the light off.
Nothing to compare it to but I am impressed enough to say I was wrong on the value. Any changes or mods to the bulb are not something I've looked at and at this point I probably would not want to try to improve a system that worked so well. I see the bulb replacements for $7-8 range so not likely to go much further looking for improvement on an item that I plan as a temporary "as needed" item.
Not much to compare but all I know currently?
DaveK and DaveK like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I was never one who thought the UV light would be worth much. My experience was with UV water purifiers for hiking or travel. Those require keeping the water exposed to the UV for way longer, like a minute. So my thinking was that simply running it by a UV at the speed of water flow would make it not worth much.
But I did see the value in the Sunsun enough to try a 304B which does come with the UV. That left me having one when I suddenly created a green cloud in a tank. Amazing! The cloud was gone overnight. It did come back when I turned the light off but less. The next day I turned the light on and left it for a couple days and the green was totally gone and has stayed gone with the light off.
Nothing to compare it to but I am impressed enough to say I was wrong on the value. Any changes or mods to the bulb are not something I've looked at and at this point I probably would not want to try to improve a system that worked so well. I see the bulb replacements for $7-8 range so not likely to go much further looking for improvement on an item that I plan as a temporary "as needed" item.
Not much to compare but all I know currently?
That sounds good enough for me. I never had green water so I never noticed if it was doing something or not. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Funny how things can wind up showing up just at the right time, occasionally. I had not really considered having green water either. I thought that was just not taking care of the tank but then i did a bunch of stirring around and suddenly had an issue that folks had recommended UV to solve. So since it was there, I searched around and found the button to turn it on.
Patriot and Patriot like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode