water changes in a tall tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Chickinpic
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AlonsoOrtiz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver
Posts: 131
water changes in a tall tank

Was wondering how all of you manage water changes. I have a 50 Gallon tank and i do 20-30% water changes weekly but my tank is about 4.5-5' high. Ive tried siphoning it back in but I can never pull a siphon that high. It hasn't been a huge problem because I am tall (6'4") so I usually lift my bucket of water up and slowly pour it in but I was wondering if anyone had a simpler way of adding water back into the tank.
AlonsoOrtiz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 12,121
A small pump is one way to go. If using a bucket the price and size of the pump can be reduced by cutting the head pressure. Head being the vertical distance the pump has to work against. So if you put the pump up high like on a ladder, the head can be reduced making the pump easier.
For long term water changes, I like to have a reserve water supply like a barrel where I can let the water come to room temperature and do the dechlor before adding it to the tank. For this, I keep a food grade barrel in a separate room and have a pump strong enough to push the water up and over into my 70+ high tank. I just unroll a plastic tubing down the hall to the other room and use a remote switch gizmo to turn on the pump. No bucket brigade ever again!
PlantedRich is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 29
The python siphoning system is what I use. It was the best invention ever for cleaning tanks. https://www.amazon.ca/-25NS-25-Feet-.../dp/B000255NXC


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doogy262 and Doogy262 like this.
Chickinpic is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AlonsoOrtiz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver
Posts: 131
I have one of those but I don't have a faucet near enough of it I have my tank in my basement which is basically our living room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickinpic View Post
The python siphoning system is what I use. It was the best invention ever for cleaning tanks. https://www.amazon.ca/-25NS-25-Feet-.../dp/B000255NXC


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bump: you mean like a return pump like what one would use in a sump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
A small pump is one way to go. If using a bucket the price and size of the pump can be reduced by cutting the head pressure. Head being the vertical distance the pump has to work against. So if you put the pump up high like on a ladder, the head can be reduced making the pump easier.
For long term water changes, I like to have a reserve water supply like a barrel where I can let the water come to room temperature and do the dechlor before adding it to the tank. For this, I keep a food grade barrel in a separate room and have a pump strong enough to push the water up and over into my 70+ high tank. I just unroll a plastic tubing down the hall to the other room and use a remote switch gizmo to turn on the pump. No bucket brigade ever again!
AlonsoOrtiz is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:34 AM
Planted Member
 
OreoP's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 249
I use a water transfer pump and a garden hose. Details are in my journal: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ainbows-2.html


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OreoP is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AlonsoOrtiz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver
Posts: 131
That's an amazing idea I thought of doing the same thing but what worried me was the cold winter months here in Denver would bring in cold water but a slow rate is smart I could do that as a last resort I'd imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoP View Post
I use a water transfer pump and a garden hose. Details are in my journal: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ainbows-2.html
AlonsoOrtiz is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
AbbeysDad's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central New York, USA
Posts: 1,360
Before I realized I had high nitrates in my well water, I got a simple [garden] hose adapter for my sink and ran the hose for refill. I got the water temp adjusted once and used a sharpie to index it on the back side of the faucet - nearly perfect temperature every time.

These days I pre-filter water through a DIY denitrator (an API Tap Water Filter filled with API Nitra-zorb) to remove nitrates, then through an inline activated carbon filter. I do this at the kitchen sink into 5g buckets. For the water change, I use an Eco 396 submersible pump that connects to a garden hose to pump water out of the tank. For the refill, I prep an 18g sterlite bin (I actually have two bins, one inside the other for added strength) the night before with the now room temp filtered water that I preheat with a spare heater... and use the same pump to pump the water back into the tank. Works great.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.


What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AbbeysDad is online now  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AlonsoOrtiz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Denver
Posts: 131
I actually have an aqueon water changer but like i said before my tank is in my basement. The washing machine is also in the basement is there any way I can connect the aqueon to the laundry machines water and do it like that? I've never used the aqueon it came with the tank when I got it and I didn't think it'd work because I don't have a faucet close enough.
AlonsoOrtiz is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:27 AM
Planted Member
 
OreoP's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonsoOrtiz View Post
That's an amazing idea I thought of doing the same thing but what worried me was the cold winter months here in Denver would bring in cold water but a slow rate is smart I could do that as a last resort I'd imagine.
Instead of using an outdoor faucet like I do, you could run from an indoor faucet that has a hot/cold.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OreoP is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 25
You also can buy extensions for the python set up and make it as long as you need it..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
dpeco33 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome