water changes in a tall tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Chickinpic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
water changes in a tall tank

Was wondering how all of you manage water changes. I have a 50 Gallon tank and i do 20-30% water changes weekly but my tank is about 4.5-5' high. Ive tried siphoning it back in but I can never pull a siphon that high. It hasn't been a huge problem because I am tall (6'4") so I usually lift my bucket of water up and slowly pour it in but I was wondering if anyone had a simpler way of adding water back into the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A small pump is one way to go. If using a bucket the price and size of the pump can be reduced by cutting the head pressure. Head being the vertical distance the pump has to work against. So if you put the pump up high like on a ladder, the head can be reduced making the pump easier.
For long term water changes, I like to have a reserve water supply like a barrel where I can let the water come to room temperature and do the dechlor before adding it to the tank. For this, I keep a food grade barrel in a separate room and have a pump strong enough to push the water up and over into my 70+ high tank. I just unroll a plastic tubing down the hall to the other room and use a remote switch gizmo to turn on the pump. No bucket brigade ever again!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The python siphoning system is what I use. It was the best invention ever for cleaning tanks. https://www.amazon.ca/-25NS-25-Feet-.../dp/B000255NXC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doogy262 and Doogy262 like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have one of those but I don't have a faucet near enough of it I have my tank in my basement which is basically our living room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickinpic View Post
The python siphoning system is what I use. It was the best invention ever for cleaning tanks. https://www.amazon.ca/-25NS-25-Feet-.../dp/B000255NXC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bump: you mean like a return pump like what one would use in a sump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
A small pump is one way to go. If using a bucket the price and size of the pump can be reduced by cutting the head pressure. Head being the vertical distance the pump has to work against. So if you put the pump up high like on a ladder, the head can be reduced making the pump easier.
For long term water changes, I like to have a reserve water supply like a barrel where I can let the water come to room temperature and do the dechlor before adding it to the tank. For this, I keep a food grade barrel in a separate room and have a pump strong enough to push the water up and over into my 70+ high tank. I just unroll a plastic tubing down the hall to the other room and use a remote switch gizmo to turn on the pump. No bucket brigade ever again!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use a water transfer pump and a garden hose. Details are in my journal: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ainbows-2.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's an amazing idea I thought of doing the same thing but what worried me was the cold winter months here in Denver would bring in cold water but a slow rate is smart I could do that as a last resort I'd imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoP View Post
I use a water transfer pump and a garden hose. Details are in my journal: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ainbows-2.html
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Before I realized I had high nitrates in my well water, I got a simple [garden] hose adapter for my sink and ran the hose for refill. I got the water temp adjusted once and used a sharpie to index it on the back side of the faucet - nearly perfect temperature every time.

These days I pre-filter water through a DIY denitrator (an API Tap Water Filter filled with API Nitra-zorb) to remove nitrates, then through an inline activated carbon filter. I do this at the kitchen sink into 5g buckets. For the water change, I use an Eco 396 submersible pump that connects to a garden hose to pump water out of the tank. For the refill, I prep an 18g sterlite bin (I actually have two bins, one inside the other for added strength) the night before with the now room temp filtered water that I preheat with a spare heater... and use the same pump to pump the water back into the tank. Works great.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually have an aqueon water changer but like i said before my tank is in my basement. The washing machine is also in the basement is there any way I can connect the aqueon to the laundry machines water and do it like that? I've never used the aqueon it came with the tank when I got it and I didn't think it'd work because I don't have a faucet close enough.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonsoOrtiz View Post
That's an amazing idea I thought of doing the same thing but what worried me was the cold winter months here in Denver would bring in cold water but a slow rate is smart I could do that as a last resort I'd imagine.
Instead of using an outdoor faucet like I do, you could run from an indoor faucet that has a hot/cold.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Algae Grower

You also can buy extensions for the python set up and make it as long as you need it..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode