CO2 for a 110 Gallon Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question CO2 for a 110 Gallon Planted Tank

Hello everyone,

I am new here so forgive me if my question has been answered in another post (I am sure it has, but in my searches I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for).

I have a 110 gallon planted tank, and I have a major black beard algae problem. I have never needed a CO2 diffuser before, but I read that black beard is caused by a lack of CO2 in comparison to the amount of light being given off by your aquarium lights. I have also read that a 110 gallon tank needs a lot of CO2 in order to balance.

Does anybody know a good solution for me? I was looking at different diffusers, and some people recommended Mazzei products, but I am new to this and am not totally sure what I need. How much would I be looking to pay in terms of upkeep and initial cost for running CO2?

Thanks in advance,

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think your best solution is pressurized CO2, using a CO2 reactor. In a large tank you may need quite a lot of CO2 and that's going to be fairly hard to do with any on the various diffusers available. You can build a DIY CO2 reactor for very little money. Here is a thread that describes it - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...x-reactor.html

If you not the DIY type you can get a read made one. Here is an example of that, but shop around first - https://www.amazon.com/Sera-Flore-Ac.../dp/B0033GDCVC
I use one of these on my 90 gal planted tank.

To give you a rough idea of costs, figure about $100 to $150 for a CO2 tank. Figure anout $100 to about 250 for a regulator, solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter. You can spend more on this, so shop around, carefully considering quality in addition to price.

As you can see, pressurized CO2 does have a fairly high initial cost, but once that's done, doing a swap or refilling a CO2 tank is next to nothing. Depending on the size of the tank this should cost you only about $20 to $40.

I found a 15 lb tank lasted me over two years, but like they say "you millage may vary". Even so you can see that once installed it's very inexpensive to run.

Look around here, and you'll find several How to threads on CO2 systems that will explain all the details.
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Normally I am a DIY guy, but I am just too busy right now to take the time to build a solution for myself at the moment. Could you explain to me why something like this wouldn't work fine? [Ebay Link Removed] Diffuser Precision CO2 Bazooka Atomizer 80mm max 110 Gallon or 420L | eBay[/url]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

In my experience there are a couple of things to consider. A diffuser can work. The working pressure from the regulator has to be higher in order to push the gas through it.
A reactor does the mixing out of the tank. You will have less of a seven up effect in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevr View Post
Thanks for the response. Normally I am a DIY guy, but I am just too busy right now to take the time to build a solution for myself at the moment. Could you explain to me why something like this wouldn't work fine? [Ebay Link Removed] Diffuser Precision CO2 Bazooka Atomizer 80mm max 110 Gallon or 420L | eBay[/url]
Having previously used diffusers and now using a reactor, the advantages of a reactor are as follows -

A diffuser puts out that mist of bubbles, which in some cases can be very unsightly. With a reactor, once it's dialed in, it will not create any mist of bubbles in the tank.

A diffuser required a much higher CO2 pressure for it to work.

A diffuser can also clog over time and usually can't be easily cleaned. It's almost impossible to clog a reactor, but if you do it's easily cleaned.

A reactor can dissolve a much larger amount of CO2 into the water.

Notes -

Cost for a DIY reactor is about the same as a diffuser, but from experience, I can tell you that diffusers require periodic replacement. Think of them as extremely fine air stones. Either way your still going to need the rest of the CO2 equipment.

Personally, I might consider a diffuser on smaller tanks, under 30 gal or so, if for some reason I couldn't easily install a reactor. For example, if I only had a hang on tank filter on it. However, my first choice would always be a reactor.

In a large tank, such as the 110 gal tank you have, you might require more than one diffuser.

To answer your specific question, will a diffuser work? Yes, it will work. However, a reactor will work much better, and have a lot less problems.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode