Using reef salt in a freshwater aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Using reef salt in a freshwater aquarium?

I have a spare bucket of reef salt that I was not pleased with the parameters for my reef. When adding salt (rarely) for improved stress coat, would using reef salt be fine in place of FW aquarium salts?

I understand their are increased mineral levels is the reef salt which may cause algae or what not, but any other issues anyone can think of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Freshwater aquarium salt is just plain old rock salt. Straight up NaCl. The reef stuff probably at least has pH and hardness buffers that will change more of your water's chemistry. How much and how bad? I'm not sure, but seems like it might lead to trouble in regards to maintaining stable parameters in your freshwater tank

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Although I suppose it's subject to on-going debate, but I've never used any salt in a FW aquarium and I've been in the hobby some 50 years.
I suppose it might be used with temperature in a hospital tank (although I've never had to use it) to treat disease, but never in a 'normal' tank. I'd especially be worried about using it in a planted tank...unless it was deliberately brackish.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Reef salt works just fine. I have done similar stuff when I just need a small amount of salt for something in the FW hobby. If your using reef salt to creat a brackish water tank, I'd consider it even better that "aquarium salt".

One downside, if your using salt for cleaning, reef salt can leave behind more residue than aquarium salt. That because of all the other salts in reef salt.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thanks all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode