Are Ants Toxic To Aquarium Life? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Are Ants Toxic To Aquarium Life?

Sometimes a small fly will land on the surface of my aquarium since I run a high light open top tank and I am up all night drawing anything to my lit up window that happens to pass by. I just leave it and my fish are usually happy to eat it, I see it as a great organic change of food when it happens to occur. Anyway I found a large stray ant on the rim of the tank and I was pi$$ed because I hate bugs so I tried to drown it with a net (it took a while) and it has been sitting on the bottom of the tank for days now. No decomposition, no fungus, I have not seen a single fish go near it still has all its legs...I have about 25 red cherry shrimp and I have never seen a single shrimp touch it either. Its as if its radioactive or something everyone knows not to eat it, weird so I had to ask what is up with that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ants have formic acid. I feed ant eggs/larvae to my fish, but never the ants. Because I read about a guy who fed a bunch of ants and the fish all died.

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:38 PM

I don't know about aquarium fish, but I know I have caught local trout, and when cleaned, the stomach was full of ants, likely it's primary food source.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There are over 12,000 species of ants. I know some of them are not ok. I would guess that some are.
Bananableps and Bananableps like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I read about that guy too, in that classroom?

Yeah I am going to call it safe and not allow ants to sink in my tank anymore for now on.

-
-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode