125g low tech stocking options - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
125g low tech stocking options

Hi,
I just registered on this forum. I have been reading it for a while but now I decide to participate!

I am planning on setting up a new low-light low-tech 125g talk. The subtract will be ecocomplete, I will put some MTS in the tank. And probably have some ramshorn going around. As plants for sure it will have vallisneria, anubias, crypts and java ferns that I will take from other tanks. Maybe I will attach some java moss to the stones and driftwood. I also have a lot of "pink" hygrophila but I am not sure if it will do well in a tank this deep and with low light. I might buy a large amazon sword to "fill" some space but I am also not sure how it will do with low light. Any comments/suggestions on the plants?

My planned stock is at the bottom. However, I read in the forum that congo tetras may be too active/fight hard and some people reported them eating plants. Do you have any suggestions for a substitute for the congo tetras? Something slightly bigger than all the other tetras but still peaceful and plant safe? I also thought of angels but I guess they will also be to aggressive for this setup. The tank will be at my office at work so I need to keep it low maintenance. I will target for PH6.5 and tds like 50-100ppm (I have distilled water on tap to cut normal tap water). The mandatory fishes are the GBR cause I have a few that I am raising and I definitely want to keep!

10x Bandit or Albino Cory
3x britlenose pleco
4x GBR
15x Cardinal tetra
15x Rummynose tetra
30x Ghost shrimp
10x Cherry barb or 20x ember tetra or 15 harlequin rasbora (any comments or preferences???)
10x Congo tetra ????? Substitute ???/?
1x Male Pearl gourami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Congo tetras will nibble on plants, but not as bad as pleco's from my experience. You'll need to be ok with the sword especially getting chomped on. While not as large or rainbow colored as Congo's I'm building up a school of Emporer Tetras in my 75 high tech and they are gorgeous.. same shape as Congo's with males getting the fin extensions, but they don't eat plants and if the tank is densely planted enough you may have an occasional fry make it to adulthood. You know it's not what people make it out to be in going high tech especially in a big tank... 2 Beamswork FSPEC fixtures... a $100 Aquatech regulator, a filled 20# C02 tank, a self built reactor plumbed into the canister, and some timers... it is so worth it... the growth is 1000000 times better and you'll see plants growing and a diverse ecosystem developing instead of struggling with algae, dying plants, and all the other stuff. It takes a little more in initial setup, but other than that it's actually easier... alot less tinkering and ALOT less money spent on plants as you actually grow plant mass at reasonable rate. It would also take the sting out of the plant nibblers... I have C02 on every one of my tanks.. even my 150 African Hap and Peacock tank. It's makes them so much more lush and enjoyable. A 20lb tank would last more than a year. Ive got a 10lb tank for my 150 and I figure it will last 8-9 months.
As far as stocking I think it would be much more enjoyable for you to have 1 species of Cory with a school of 20...
One species of small schooling fish with a group of 35-40
And then the Rams and perhaps 2 Pearl Gourami's. It makes for a much more cohesive enjoyable display. No one ever listens, but everyone ends up seeing it.
In my top 75 I have a pair of Apisto Caucatoides, a growing group of Emporer Tetras (11 now I think), a growing group of Oto's ( I want 8) and 2 male Rainbows of 3 species (Bosemani, Goyder River, Millenium)

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by The Dude1; 09-12-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you for your suggestions. I am definitely going to consider the emperor tetras. A year or so ago I saw them in the nature aquarium exhibition by Takashi Amano in Lisbon and they looked really nice in that planted tank. The exhibition tank is like 40 meters long and designed by Amano so everything obviously looked good lol. I guess the Congo tetras are going to my black list even before I ever owned one!
I didn't know a CO2 canister lasted that long. I have to see what happens with this setup first though. I just got this tank cause another person at my job quit his tank and gave it to me with all the equipment (no fishes or plants). I am trying not to put more money in it cause I already have to get the new substract (there were african cichlids in it before), plants and fish. I already have 6 tanks at home that I am trying to keep $$ neutral by breeding some fish to exchange for store credit. The idea of a self sustainable hobby is more ideological then anything else (and keep the spouse unable to complain) so I can still buy some stuff. I really have to see first how the plants grow with whatever lamp I got, then see if I need a new one or not. I already have my tanks at home looking like jungles without CO2, I imagine with! I will post some pictures after I remove the plants that are going for the new one cause I have been letting them grow so I can "steal" some.
Definitely the corydoras will be one species. I was thinking bandit but albinos are easier to get. And I will keep the tank on the warmer side so the albinos should do better. I do like the big school look for the tank but this one is quite deep so if I was trying for schools that go at different levels.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode