Life expectancy of a planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Life expectancy of a planted tank

I have been in this hobby for 10+ years. There is one unexplained, repeating problem that always baffles me. For some reason, I can not keep a high tech tank healthy for longer than 2 or 3 years. For the 1st half year to one year, things normally go well. Plants are healthy, little algae problem, eco system functioning well. But it always starts to go down hill after 1.5 or 2 years. Probably due to depleted nutrition in the substrate? Or the aging of the plants? I always start to have algae issues at about 1.5 years, and then other problems start to occur.

So, my question is, what is the reasonable life expectancy of a high tech planted tank? Is it true the only way is to re-scape the whole thing every 2 years?

I'm planning on a test scape that uses a large quantity of sand and a small amount of aqua soil and a small amount of rooted plants. Will that give me a better chance to have an aquascape that lasts longer?

Hey, it's me, CrazyCory. I have to start fresh because I cannot get in my account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 05:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well, if there's some sort of built in time limitation of a high tech tank, I can't say that I've encountered it. Perhaps other things in life start to distract you by year 2? Maybe you get bored of your scape and you just let it overgrow? Or you fall behind on your rituals? I know sometimes I tend to slack and the tank overgrows and some plants suffer --- or I even lose some because they got choked out by others, but a good hard trim and resumption of the proper water changes and dosing brings the tank back. Heck, I slacked off so bad one time, I was out of CO2 for probably weeks before I realized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 06:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
Maybe your substrate is being depleted?

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
[QUOTE=Special_K;10466786]I can not keep a high tech tank healthy for longer than 2 or 3 years. For the 1st half year to one year, things normally go well. Plants are healthy, little algae problem, eco system functioning well. But it always starts to go down hill after 1.5 or 2 years. Probably due to depleted nutrition in the substrate? Or the aging of the plants? I always start to have algae issues at about 1.5 years, and then other problems start to occur./[QUOTE]

Do you keep Phish in your planted tank?
Over time, even vacuuming cannot remove all fish poo remnants.
Phish crap entering the nitrogen cycle is a slow accumulative process.

Using capped soil on my end, I know it will be depleted eventually.
I'm not bothered by a once a year tear down and clean up.

"Aged" plants.
Propagating some species for over 4 years now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

Last edited by Maryland Guppy; 09-11-2017 at 01:33 AM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
There is one unexplained, repeating problem that always baffles me. For some reason, I can not keep a high tech tank healthy for longer than 2 or 3 years.
pathos plants are common house plants. Some varieties do very well in aquariums including anubias plants. I have one Pothos house plant that is about 15 years old. Perennial plants do well for very long time periods provided they have enough nutrients.

If you are relying on your substrate supplying some nutrients you are always going to run into nutrient deficiency issues after about 1 or 2 years. It takes about 1 to 2 years for water changes and plant growth to deplete the substrate of these nutrients. If you use EI fertilization methode with a sulfate GH booster and an inert sand or gravel substrate you should be able to maintain stable plant growth beyond 2 or 3 years.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode