Pressure Issue In DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pressure Issue In DIY CO2

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse1514c9a.jpg

Recently i have purchased this DIY Co2 kit. When i started it, i was able to achieve a constant 1bps. However, the next few days it became close to 1 bubble per 6 sec. Is the pressure dropping? This kit will auto siphon the citric acid mixture to the baking soda once there is a difference in the internal pressure in the bottle. Technically the pressure should not run low as it is constantly siphoning the mixture as needed to create the co2. I am not a science geek, am i missing something here? by the way i am using the co2 ladder as the diffuser.

I understand that if you are using the yeast and sugar method, its kinda common to have inconsistent pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Sounds like you probably have a leak. Make sure the O rings are in the holes where you screw in the bottles and use soapy water to check all connections for a leak.

I have this same kit with citric acid and baking soda mix at work, and I get about 3-4 weeks per mix in my Spec V.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenogade View Post
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse1514c9a.jpg

Recently i have purchased this DIY Co2 kit. When i started it, i was able to achieve a constant 1bps. However, the next few days it became close to 1 bubble per 6 sec. Is the pressure dropping? This kit will auto siphon the citric acid mixture to the baking soda once there is a difference in the internal pressure in the bottle. Technically the pressure should not run low as it is constantly siphoning the mixture as needed to create the co2. I am not a science geek, am i missing something here? by the way i am using the co2 ladder as the diffuser.

I understand that if you are using the yeast and sugar method, its kinda common to have inconsistent pressure.
I am pretty familiar with the DIY citric acid CO2. Unfortunately I found that the working pressure changes quite a bit as it uses more of the citric acid. I usually found that the working pressure increased over time though and would peak right as the last of the citric acid was siphoned over (usually after a week and a half or so). If your using the kit of Ebay I found the needle valve was garbage and might be the source of inconsistency. With the stock needle valve I had to adjust the flow every few days. It might be worth getting a better needle valve and putting it in-line after the stock one.

If you ever upgrade to a pressurized system you can re-use the needle valve so get a good one. More of an investment than simply trying to throw more money at a DIY CO2 imo.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode