CO2 getting released from pressure relief valve - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 getting released from pressure relief valve

I have recently purchased a filled CO2 from a local place where I live. I was lent a regulator in the mean time till I get my aquatek premium co2 regulator so I'm not sure of the brand. When I open the CO2 tank if I even open it the slightest and the pressure goes past 0-5 it gets released from the pressure relief valve. I'm fairly new to pressurized CO2 so i'm not exactly sure what to look for or what to do. The CO2 tank is 10lbs. The left gauge is the one I can make go over 5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5379_1504840723239.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	787649  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi apisto guy,

Welcome to TPT!

The regulator is bad, depending upon the type of pressure relief on the regulator it should not vent unless the tank pressure is 1600 - 4500 psi. Guess that is why the regulator was a 'loaner'......take it back and ask for another loaner or wait until your new one arrives.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There is no possible way to fix it or use it? He had 2 loaners we tried both they both did the same thing. I thought maybe it had to do with the solenoid at one point.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can try to fix it but only if you feel comfortable doing so. The pressure relief valve is just a spring that pushes on a diaphragm. When the pressure inside the chamber produces a force greater than the force the spring the diaphragm opens releasing the pressure until pressure inside the chamber lowers.

Assuming the spring is still good, you just need to tighten the adjustment on it so that the spring is more compressed. Almost all relief valves are adjustable, and although they come in many different shapes and sizes most all work on the same design principle. If the spring is bad (which is rarely the case) then you just need to purchase a new relief valve of the proper pressure gate.

Note: The relief valve is a safety feature and tightening it too much so that it would never open can compromise the safety of your setup if the pressure for some reason ever became too great.

I'm reading this correctly right? You said the left gauge CAN go over 5 just fine? Its when you adjust the right gauge you have the problem, correct?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry that was a mistype I can't get the left gauge past 5 it just releases I'm not sure it even reaches 5. I'm not that technically inclined to fix it most likely.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by apisto guy View Post
Sorry that was a mistype I can't get the left gauge past 5 it just releases I'm not sure it even reaches 5. I'm not that technically inclined to fix it most likely.
Are you 100% sure its coming from the pressure relief valve? The pressure relief is usually for when the working pressure (the right gauge) gets too high. I find it highly unlikely that two independent regulators have the exact same problem.

You are sure when you turn on the gas the regulator knob is backed all the way out (turned to the left)?

Secondly you are 100% sure the air is coming from the relief valve and not around the threads where the regulator connects to the tank? Are you using teflon tape? Sometimes it can feel like its coming from one place but it is actually coming from another.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I can show you the exact place it is coming from. It's coming from the left guage well near the left guage. That little screw hole is where it all comes out whenever I open the CO2 tank. @Highseq
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1504907691410.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	787714  

Name:	IMG_5412_1504907857026.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	787722  

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highseq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apisto guy View Post
Are you 100% sure its coming from the pressure relief valve? The pressure relief is usually for when the working pressure (the right gauge) gets too high. I find it highly unlikely that two independent regulators have the exact same problem.

You are sure when you turn on the gas the regulator knob is backed all the way out (turned to the left)?

Secondly you are 100% sure the air is coming from the relief valve and not around the threads where the regulator connects to the tank? Are you using teflon tape? Sometimes it can feel like its coming from one place but it is actually coming from another.
Not sure if that's the pressure release valve or something else
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You have a model number for that regulator? It should be on a sticker somewhere on it or possibly engraved. Or maybe even just a brand.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
You have a model number for that regulator? It should be on a sticker somewhere on it or possibly engraved. Or maybe even just a brand.
Let me see if I can find it somewhere

Quote:
This is all that I can find
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1504918612278.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	787738  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-09-2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode