In need of help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
In need of help!

I did DSM heavily planted tank 180 gallon tank with success until I added water. So far all plants look great, after water in tank for 3 days. I have a media reactor/filter in sump converted to a CO2 reactor. The reactor is a 2 liter cylinder that with input on top (3/4 inch) and output on bottom (1/4 inch). The cylinder is filled with bio balls and I have the water flow such that the depth of water in the canister is 3/4 or higher, but not to the top. I have 2 to 3 bubbles per second being injected into the top air gap (1-3 inches) of the canister. Problem is that the bubbling of the plants is evident, but not huge. Very high lighting (3 GHL Mitras 7000s).

Question: how do I optimize this CO2 reactor for maximum CO2 diffusion for this sized tank? Should water level/pressure in canisterd be higher or lower? Or another method entirely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

CO2 reactors can usually dissolve massive amounts of CO2 into your water. You shouldn't need to do much else other than increasing the amount of CO2 supplied to the reactor. Just keep an eye on whatever method your using to measure CO2 in the tank. You don't want to over do anything.

I can tell you I use a lot more CO2 on my 90 gal planted tank, so I think you can increase the CO2 several times with out a problem.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

took a completely different approach

I could not get CO2 to dissolve in this 200+ gallon system with a reef style overflow and sump. I tried most external reactors on the market, including the custom made one referenced above. These were 3 varieties of canister type reactors, where water and CO2 mix in a clear plastic container with or without an internal powerhead. All of these failed. None could move my drop checker (DC) from deep blue. The most expensive was the CarbonReactor EXT5000. Nor were Sera Flore or Ista units...all no help.

This week I replummed the entire system. I installed two Rex Grigg reactors (2" wide and 24" long) with bypasses on my two return lines from sump to display tank (DC). One CO2 tank and regulator to each. I reworked my drain lines and overflow box to have zero surface agitation. At first, no CO2. And then I turned up the low pressure adjuster on the regulators (btw CarbonDosers that work great), and then magic happened. In two hours DC yellow-green. I now have to worry about too much CO2. A good problem to have!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sealing your sump is also a good idea. I had a 90 with a sump and did something similar to you. I always had to keep my c02 at a steady stream to keep my plants happy. Don't be afraid to really crank it up if you don have fish yet to give your plants a boost.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode