20G High Planted Stocking Ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
20G High Planted Stocking Ideas

Hey guys, I'm a new member here, so I had this stocking for about 6months : 1Bolivian Ram, 5 Guppies, 6 Nerite snails, 2 ghost shrimp, 1 african dwarf frog (thinking of rehoming her in a 5-10g). Do you guys think i could add a honey gourami and 3-4 platies or it would be overstocking? I got a 50 aquafilter and lots of hiding places. Thanks already
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

What are your current water parameters? Nitrates?
What about plants?

If it were me and your nitrates are in control I would add the platies or the gourami then wait a month or two before adding the other after checking the water parameters.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
What are your current water parameters? Nitrates?
What about plants?

If it were me and your nitrates are in control I would add the platies or the gourami then wait a month or two before adding the other after checking the water parameters.
My water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitratres 5-10ppm. My plants im not quite sure about the names, I know i have an amazon sword, some clinopodium, cabombas but theres other two kinds that I don't know the name.

I think I'll go with the honey first, they're so cute! With the platies it would not be overstocked right?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Planted Member

I am no expert when it comes to stocking but what you are planning sounds reasonable. I don't really have any idea of what kind of bio load a frog introduces into a tank. Something you might want to consider is you probably won't have 5 guppies for long if they are mixed sex. After keeping guppies for just about a month we went from 8 to 18 guppies litterally over night.

Good choice on the gourami, I have always had great luck with the couple of gouramis I have kept.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
I am no expert when it comes to stocking but what you are planning sounds reasonable. I don't really have any idea of what kind of bio load a frog introduces into a tank. Something you might want to consider is you probably won't have 5 guppies for long if they are mixed sex. After keeping guppies for just about a month we went from 8 to 18 guppies litterally over night.

Good choice on the gourami, I have always had great luck with the couple of gouramis I have kept.
Ditto on the guppy comment, unless they are all males. The same will be true if you add platies of both sexes, so the potential is there for an overstocked tank within several months. I kept guppies for years and I'm now happily guppy free, except for my male endlers. It was fun for a while, but trying to continually separate the sexes was a failed task. Male guppies alone provide some nice color to a tank.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
Quote:

Ditto on the guppy comment, unless they are all males. The same will be true if you add platies of both sexes, so the potential is there for an overstocked tank within several months. I kept guppies for years and I'm now happily guppy free, except for my male endlers. It was fun for a while, but trying to continually separate the sexes was a failed task. Male guppies alone provide some nice color to a tank.
I love gouramis too, so colorful.

My 5 Guppies are all males, all different colors. didn't want any babies, since a lot of people like you told me that guppies mixed sex would be a mess in a 20g, but that's a good suggestion for the platies, I think I'll go with all males too! Thanks guys for your advices !
Getting my red honey gourami tomorrow and I'll wait for the rest I think.
I wanted more action on the bottom but I can't think of anything else, because my gravel is quite rough so cories is not an options... :/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode