Is this enough filtration ? - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this enough filtration ?

I have one Fluval 2213, two 2215's and one Fluval 305. I was thinking about my Fluval 305 and an eheim 2215 on a 65 gallon tank. Overall it would filter the tank water 6.5 times per hour.

Thanks skye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I would run both 2215s on the 65g.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
I would run both 2215s on the 65g.

But that would give me less filtration at turning over my water 5 times per hour. Not 6.5
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
But that would give me less filtration at turning over my water 5 times per hour. Not 6.5
5 or 6.5 it doesn't really matter. There isn't really 65 gallons of water in your tank either. If you want to bump up the flow on the 2215s you can swap out the impellers for 2217 impellers. Also, don't run filter floss or foam in your eheims, it just clogs up super fast and slows them down. I just run coarse media in mine, you can let them run for a very long time this way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
5 or 6.5 it doesn't really matter. There isn't really 65 gallons of water in your tank either. If you want to bump up the flow on the 2215s you can swap out the impellers for 2217 impellers. Also, don't run filter floss or foam in your eheims, it just clogs up super fast and slows them down. I just run coarse media in mine, you can let them run for a very long time this way.

We have a LFS here and he has an ADA 120-P (same as mine) 65G and he only has one 2217 on it and it is well stocked and looks great. I don't get all this filtration stuff, some people say you need 10x and other say you need less than 5x. Anyways, once I get it all set up I'm sure it will be decided.Thanks for your help, any other opinions appreciated also.
xmas_one and xmas_one like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Algae Grower

I have a 100 g densely planted well stocked tank running on eheim 2217 and sunsun 303b. Water has always been pristine. For a 65 g what u have suggested is enough. 10x may be ideal but we don't live in a ideal world. Filtration is important but not as important as good flow. So 2215 and f305 r fine. Just make sure u r getting flow all over with some nano koiralas.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am really not wanting to add in a power head. I hate the way they look to be honest. What I am going to try and do is switch the empeller for the 2227 model and hopefully that will give me more flow to. The fluval 305 actually puts out a lot of water, I think it's really strong for 260 GPH. And then the eheim will go to right around 200 GPH and then in total we will have around 460 GPH. That's a turn over rate of just over 7x per hour. And that would be fine for me. The more suggestions the better. Thanks for the help guys

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well,filtration and flow are two different thing's in my view.
Good flow for distributing CO2/nutrient's to all areas is suggested, but I can't get on board with the 10X the volume of the tank per hour.
Filtration for me, is filtering out floating particulates, and reasonable flow is a plus to prevent the particulates from settling on the bottom where no filter (s) will pick it up.
I aim for 6 to 8 X the volume the tank holds to be turned over each hour.
Filtration don't mean squat if your not keeping the filter material cleaned regularly.
Monthly for me due in large part to soil based tanks,fairly high bioload.
You only truly remove what is not wanted in the tank by cleaning the filter(s)
SKYE.__.HIGH and SKYE.__.HIGH like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's generally regurgitated in the hobby that you need 4x to 10x filter flow in an aquarium filter. I've seen some suggest even more. It's a MYTH!

If you think about it logically, good filtration is about how well we filter water, not how much water we push around through a box. If you were to filter every drop really well, say twice per hour, I'll bet you'd have crystal clear water.

So what's the point of using coarse media and pumping lots of water through it? And adding another filter just pushes more dirty water around faster. Might better pump less and filter more!.....Right???

Then there's circulation...it's true that you want good circulation throughout the planted tank as it breaks up any potential thermal gradients and ensures nutrient distribution. However, it doesn't need to be a torrent of turbulent water! Besides, swimming fish create great circulation.
There are some planted tanks that merely have a sponge filter and some with no filter at all.

On my 60g, I'm using two Aquaclear 70 HOB's with AC50 impellers both loaded with sponge material and polyester fiber - both set to low flow. Seems to work just fine.

I would think you could manage a 65g with a single canister filter, but each to his/her own.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
It's generally regurgitated in the hobby that you need 4x to 10x filter flow in an aquarium filter. I've seen some suggest even more. It's a MYTH!

If you think about it logically, good filtration is about how well we filter water, not how much water we push around through a box. If you were to filter every drop really well, say twice per hour, I'll bet you'd have crystal clear water.
This is very true. I've said in other threads. Did you ever notice the Eheims have much less GPH for the same size tank recommendation as say Fluval and other manufacturers. It's because they believe in the effectiveness of bio-filtration not the speed of it. The 10X turnover thing is from the fish only tanks where you need to remove large waste.

72G - 1 Eheim 2215 - Effective turnover less than 2x - No Powerheads

46G - 1 Eheim 2213 - Effective turnover less than 2x - No Powerheads
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think much of the suggested flow for your tank/my tank is due in part to drop off in gph rating from some/most filters after they are packed with media, and become dirtier between service.
Fish load definitely ,and waste created daily also plays big part.
You can only filter what is floating about in the water column so good flow keeps the material you want filtered out in suspension longer, as opposed to as mentioned,just falling to the bottom where no filtration can remove it.
Opinion's will always vary on this topic.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
If you look at my 2nd pic. I had the intake and return on the left wall of the tank. The setup is heavily planted with that big mass in the middle. Even if I increased flow I don't think it would move the waste around from the right side. I get what your saying, but in a planted tank much more is processed in the tank as opposed to an tank with a Jack Demsey in it and no plants.

Getting back to ADA. It's true in the gallery they have a staff cleaning their tanks, etc. It is living art. But there are countless tanks that only use ADA products and it works. ADA does not sell powerheads (last I checked) nor do they sell reactors. The use in-tank glass diffusers and the plants somehow get co2 and other nutrients. It's not smoke and mirrors. ADA does sell something called a Pro Picker that removes tuffs of BBA from rocks and wood, so they do know people will get algae, but no powerheads, no reactors.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
This is very true. I've said in other threads. Did you ever notice the Eheims have much less GPH for the same size tank recommendation as say Fluval and other manufacturers. It's because they believe in the effectiveness of bio-filtration not the speed of it. The 10X turnover thing is from the fish only tanks where you need to remove large waste.

72G - 1 Eheim 2215 - Effective turnover less than 2x - No Powerheads

46G - 1 Eheim 2213 - Effective turnover less than 2x - No Powerheads

Is if I were to use two eheim 2215's which would put me at a 5x turn over rate per hour I could have this stick in my tank?

Thanks for all the replies, more are welcome.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oops the Amanos should be at 25 and we were going to scratch the pristellas and go with more rummy nose. 40-50 rummynose

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode