I almost think their funny.

**Thats 4 gallons** *LOL*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
*Kill me
I see this all the time sadly. I was at a store and some guy kept buying his son goldfish, and I asked why he bought so many, he told me they kept dying. I told him that he needed a larger tank, because (Obviously) he put them in a bowl. He told my "They only grow to the size of the tank" and left. I died inside that day.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
The GMO Glofish is one that makes me cringe sometimes. I was in a mom and pop store and saw that they are now producing GloFish tiger barbs. It looks like the high prices and high demand for these fish are leading breeders to start breed other types of GloFish. We'll probably see a GloFish goldfish pretty soon. It is really sad that they have to resort to genetically modified fish to generate sales and profit.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:07 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post

I almost think their funny.

**Thats 4 gallons** *LOL*

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
SKYE.__.HIGH and SKYE.__.HIGH like this.

post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Glofish is only fish that has been patented. The extra $5 per fish is going to the lab that developed using color markers in test animals.

Its scary that this could be used on a human embroy to create a real blue man.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Glofish were created for a genuine reason, to detect pollutants and express color in the presence of them, but now they are a hype fish to have.

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:41 AM
Algae Grower

I've read and heard contradicting stories about Glowfish. I've read that they their color is natural not dyed. Then I was watching YouTube video, an employee at a LFS was being interviewed and he said the Glowfish lose their color after some months because they're dyed. What's the truth!?
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJenny View Post
I've read and heard contradicting stories about Glowfish. I've read that they their color is natural not dyed. Then I was watching YouTube video, an employee at a LFS was being interviewed and he said the Glowfish lose their color after some months because they're dyed. What's the truth!?
they are genetically moified with jellyfish proteins that make them that color

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

One good thing about glowfish, they put painted glassfish out of business.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 03:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJenny View Post
Seems like stories (and fish) are getting mixed, but most importantly, the color of glofish is not natural at all.

With glofish, they are genetically modified using protein genes from other animals (jellyfish, sea pansy, sea anemone, and a variety of corals) that have fluorescent abilities. This gene mixing takes place once, and fish that breed will carry the genes. That is about the only "natural" thing going on with glofish.

Before glofish there were (and still are) several other ways that people colored fish. Injecting with ink, dissolving a fishes slime coat and dying, and laser tattooing were some of the worst.

Here are two links to get you started on any research you choose to do. If you look up the terms in these links, you'll find many photos of glofish and other dyed/injected/tattooed fish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GloFish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_fish
karel.brits and karel.brits like this.

I Want A Golden Goose!
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
And because they are patented they are illegal to breed them without being licensed by the company.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:56 AM
Planted Member

The tricky thing is the way they use the word "natural". No, they are not found that way in nature (which is what I consider "natural"), but it *is* in their actual genetic code now (as opposed to the ink injected fish) so they are born and bred that way, therefore the brand calls them "natural".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 05:03 AM
Algae Grower

So what happens if your glofish spawn in your aquarium?
is it okay to raise them yourself or should you just destroy the babies?

I have never kept them and I probably never will. they appear to appeal to the neon colored gravel crowd (aka children)

A lot of people don't realize those images are just made to make the product look good. 99% of those images are shopped and more often than not the animals are way larger than they actually grow. they just get some nice licensed images of tropical fish and paste them in the tank and call it a day.
It`s like that feeling you get when you order something online and it arrives at about half the expected size lol.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafini View Post
So what happens if your glofish spawn in your aquarium?
is it okay to raise them yourself or should you just destroy the babies?

I have never kept them and I probably never will. they appear to appeal to the neon colored gravel crowd (aka children)

A lot of people don't realize those images are just made to make the product look good. 99% of those images are shopped and more often than not the animals are way larger than they actually grow. they just get some nice licensed images of tropical fish and paste them in the tank and call it a day.
It`s like that feeling you get when you order something online and it arrives at about half the expected size lol.
I disagree, the fish in the photo's are close to scale.(Note fin rot already beginning).
It is normally the object that they wish to make look larger like cheeseburger's in commercial's.
In this case,,the object's(bowl's) look smaller while fishes appear to be bout right on.
They should have used smaller fish to make the tiny death traps appear larger.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I disagree, the fish in the photo's are close to scale.(Note fin rot already beginning).

It is normally the object that they wish to make look larger like cheeseburger's in commercial's.

In this case,,the object's(bowl's) look smaller while fishes appear to be bout right on.

They should have used smaller fish to make the tiny death traps appear larger.

Last line-----> LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karel.brits and karel.brits like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode