All the fish are DEAD! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
All the fish are DEAD!

Ok, so all the fish are DEAD! kabooom.
I have a heavily planted 30 gallon breeder, with 3 watts per gallon, co2, substrate, the whole [censored][censored][censored][censored].
I did a 50% water change today (I usually never go above 30-40%), added the fertilizers (I use the whole line of seachem flourish) and voila, 3 hours later I lose every single fish (tetras, apisto's, danios) except one, all DEAD.
So why? do you think too much of the water change killed them? I haven't done any tests yet, friend has my test kit. Or, do you think my eyeballing of cap measurements of the ferts killed them?
Let me hear what you got
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Did you accidentally bump the NV on your CO2?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Did you treat your water after changing it? Seachem Prime or any other water conditioners like that?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I too just had a similar problem, as have a few other members. It seems as though this time of year is common for water system changes... Meaning the oxygen could be extremely low in the water or the co2 could be unusually high.

Did the fish start to gasp?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
My town just did the same a few weeks ago so it must be the time of the year for it.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Now I am getting nervous lol. I just upped my water changes, I had a die off of tetras and cherry shrimp at the beginning of the spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Our water service has started adding ammonia to the water. Don't know if it's enough to register, but I'm going to start testing before I waterchange.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I just did a water change and treated with prime before putting my water in and still lost a few of my burried RCS too. That sucks that this is going on. Man im going to cut back on changes a bit.

USMC SGT TYPE
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would call your local water provider and ask if they have changed water sources or treatment techniques, and explain your situation. They might be able to shed some light. A large portion of our water sources here in Florida are ground water wells, so seasons do not really change our sources, but from what I understand is that water companies who use surface water as their sources often use different sources during the year, as surface waters are much more influenced by weather changes (algae blooms, stratification flips).
First step, make a visit or try to talk to your local water treatment operator
The addition of ammonia is often used in conjunction with free chlorine to produce chlorimines, another method of disinfectant, and the goal is not to have large free chlorine or ammonia residuals left after. Many people use Prime or similar without issues on chlorimine systems.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
I had a similar problem on Sunday night/yesterday. Lost over half my fish after a water change. Sorry for your loss man.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...fish-kill.html

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

+++ same here.
Last week had fish gasping after a 10% water change...

BIOTOPE AFICIONADO

56g Guyana Backwater
40g Borneo Stream
20g Crypt brook
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

Had this exact thing happen about a week ago, all my fish except one died over night after a water change. When I tested in the morning all my parameters were okay. I'm pretty sure I bumped the spray bar and caused a loss of surface agitation and therefore an overnight oxygen deficiency. Sad, but it showed me that I need to be much more careful when working in the tank.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
This has happened to me twice. Our water company (and most, from what I understand) does an annual chlorine/chloramine flush, which increases the chlorine/chloramine content beyond lethal levels for some fish. This was confirmed by my tests, which for a week registered chlorine WAY off the scale. This results in fish gasping at the surface, listlessness, and ultimately death. I lost 4 angels last year, and this year about 12 congo tetras. My recommendation, and the only thing that has worked for me, is to age the water at least 24 hours with some agitation (airstone, or powerhead works), and treat with Prime/Amquel Plus, or other chlorine/chloramine neutralizers. I have discus now, and I am SO lucky that I didn't have my discus in the 90 when it killed my congos. My aged water was fine within 24 hours, but that was too late for the fish. Oddly enough all of my catfish survived both incidents - everything from my BN plec and farlowella acus to my otos and corys.

The water company doesn't need to inform the public when they do this, because they only add the chemicals to the legal limits. I'm sure they would tell you if you asked, but there is no obligation to inform you. The only safe option is prevention by habit.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
This has happened to me twice. Our water company (and most, from what I understand) does an annual chlorine/chloramine flush, which increases the chlorine/chloramine content beyond lethal levels for some fish. This was confirmed by my tests, which for a week registered chlorine WAY off the scale. This results in fish gasping at the surface, listlessness, and ultimately death. I lost 4 angels last year, and this year about 12 congo tetras. My recommendation, and the only thing that has worked for me, is to age the water at least 24 hours with some agitation (airstone, or powerhead works), and treat with Prime/Amquel Plus, or other chlorine/chloramine neutralizers. I have discus now, and I am SO lucky that I didn't have my discus in the 90 when it killed my congos. My aged water was fine within 24 hours, but that was too late for the fish. Oddly enough all of my catfish survived both incidents - everything from my BN plec and farlowella acus to my otos and corys.

The water company doesn't need to inform the public when they do this, because they only add the chemicals to the legal limits. I'm sure they would tell you if you asked, but there is no obligation to inform you. The only safe option is prevention by habit.

This is called a "burn out". It is when a chloramine system will switch back to free chlorine (basically stop the NH4 feed), in order burn out any bacterilocial growth in the system, additionally flushing the system via hydrants or flush points to help draw this water through and rid of old water. This is done to control nitrifying bacteria (just like in your tank) from converting residual ammonia from the chloramine process to nitrites and nitrates, which have a maximum contaminant levels set.

Any public water system must have below a 4.0 mg/l free chlorine or total chlorine (chloramine) residual at all times, burn out or not. If you are concerned, then use more dechlor and age it as suggested. Note a absence or strong prescience of chlorine smell or taste is not a good indicator of chlorine residuals, it can sometimes be a sign of low residuals.

Most water companies / municipalities will post in the news paper or on the news to head off customer complaints, which have to be logged and responded to. There might be some regulations also requiring public notices by this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Holy crap, I didn't know water companies ever did switches or ammonia add ins. I am from New York city, and all our water comes from upstate from what I understand. I don't imagine they would change it ever, but yeah EVERY single fish except one in my tank bought it big time. I looked at it

Last edited by sewingalot; 10-29-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: pg language only please!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode