Ordering from AFA / Horn vs Branch wood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ordering from AFA / Horn vs Branch wood

Hi! I have everything for my Nuvo 20 black except hardscape and plants. Has anyone ordered from Aqua Forest Aquarium?

I also want all of your opinions on whether horn wood or branch wood is better to aquascape with.

I'm thinking of ordering Seiryu stone and one of the woods I mentioned, either horn or branch.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 06:02 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garifuna View Post
Hi! I have everything for my Nuvo 20 black except hardscape and plants. Has anyone ordered from Aqua Forest Aquarium?

I also want all of your opinions on whether horn wood or branch wood is better to aquascape with.

I'm thinking of ordering Seiryu stone and one of the woods I mentioned, either horn or branch.

Thanks!
I've purchased nearly all of my materials (dry goods and plants) from AFA and have always had an excellent experience. In fact, my wife and I are planning a trip to SF in a couple weeks and we're driving up there in case I decide to haul some stuff back.

As far as the wood is concerned. I recently purchased both branch wood and slim wood but have not tried the horn wood. I would suggest looking at layouts using the various types of wood to decide which layout style you are looking to achieve.

If you are adding stone with the wood take a look at yamaya stone which looks more natural with driftwood than seiryu. Also the yamaya is inert whereas the seiryu will increase your waters PH and overall hardness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA 60P Iwagumi Style - Jul 2017
ADA 30C Nature Style - Aug 2017
ADA Mini M Iwagumi Style - Sep 2017
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'd love to visit the store sometime too. Around where I live there aren't any good stores :-(. I think I've decided to go with their branch wood. The Nuvo Black has a darker background and the branch wood seems like a lighter wood.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 07:00 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garifuna View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'd love to visit the store sometime too. Around where I live there aren't any good stores :-(. I think I've decided to go with their branch wood. The Nuvo Black has a darker background and the branch wood seems like a lighter wood.
Good choice, I decided to go with branch wood in my tank as well and I love the shape.

Just so you know what to expect, I boiled my branch wood really well, dried it out in the sun, then dipped it in hydrogen peroxide. Using this method I didn't have too much tannins released but the saprolegnia (white fungus) is inevitable. You will have to deal with that and it's a pain. Also it took about 2 weeks before the wood sank so make sure you find driftwood that is shaped in a way that will allow you to weight it down with a rock easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA 60P Iwagumi Style - Jul 2017
ADA 30C Nature Style - Aug 2017
ADA Mini M Iwagumi Style - Sep 2017
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would suggest buying everything but hardscape online. AFA is fantastic, but not being able to see what your working with sucks. I recently ordered slim wood form them and regret it. Not because of the quality, but what i got. Im very picky when it comes to hardscape. Put it this way, i sometimes drive 1.5hrs away just to look for hard scape. Other times i drive 1hr. Hard scare is the defining point in a scape. Ive seen some members on here that sell wood, rock, etc with measurements and actual pieces labeled that you can buy. that gives you a better insight of what you're getting. Ordering blindly will most likely be a let down. I suggest everything from AFA. Just don't get your hopes up is what I'm saying.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMensch View Post
Good choice, I decided to go with branch wood in my tank as well and I love the shape.

Just so you know what to expect, I boiled my branch wood really well, dried it out in the sun, then dipped it in hydrogen peroxide. Using this method I didn't have too much tannins released but the saprolegnia (white fungus) is inevitable. You will have to deal with that and it's a pain. Also it took about 2 weeks before the wood sank so make sure you find driftwood that is shaped in a way that will allow you to weight it down with a rock easily.
Yeah, I expected the fungus, sounds like a blast for the first few weeks haha. Thanks for all the tips, you've been a great help!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnalp View Post
I would suggest buying everything but hardscape online. AFA is fantastic, but not being able to see what your working with sucks. I recently ordered slim wood form them and regret it. Not because of the quality, but what i got. Im very picky when it comes to hardscape. Put it this way, i sometimes drive 1.5hrs away just to look for hard scape. Other times i drive 1hr. Hard scare is the defining point in a scape. Ive seen some members on here that sell wood, rock, etc with measurements and actual pieces labeled that you can buy. that gives you a better insight of what you're getting. Ordering blindly will most likely be a let down. I suggest everything from AFA. Just don't get your hopes up is what I'm saying.
That makes perfect sense. I'm not too picky about my hardscape this go around since this is my first planted tank and I don't plan on it being an award winning set up.

If I was setting up a tank that I had a very specific vision for I would definitely want to hand pick everything.

Thank you for your words of caution and I'll be sure not to have high expectations. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed :-D

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode