Glass top options (no seam?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass top options (no seam?)

I have an Aqueon glass versatop on my 29g with a Finnex 24/7. The hinge in the middle makes me place my light near the back, which seems like it's not efficient use of the light.

Are there any other tops that don't have this type of hinge that blocks the light or am I worrying about nothing. The hinge on this top is right in the middle.

See the attached picture. Might be had to tell, but the angle of the light creates a darker zone near the top front of the tank which makes me think the plants might not be getting optimal lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170826_204355_1503805806767.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	784546  

- - - - - -
29g Freshwater
30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Fluval 206 Canister
Paintball CO2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:01 AM
Banned

The shadow cone is easy enough to see. Don't see any plants impacted by it though.
This issue has been bugging me for years since clear hinges are available.
Look up living hinge.
https://www.jifram.com/living-hinge.php
http://www.jmkdisplays.com/hinge.html

Why they insist on that black/brown plastic is BEYOND me.

There are all sorts of work arounds that people have done.
On my 40 I just cut the whole hinge into 3 smaller sections leaving clear space in between.

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:45 PM
Algae Grower

You could always get a solid piece of glass cut for your tank.

I had a local glass shop cut a piece of 1/4" glass for my 29 gallon tank and it was $11. I left a 2" opening for my filter intake and so I can just drop food in the tank without having to lift the entire sheet of glass. I kind of wish I would've got two separate pieces of glass cut so I could just take one pane off while doing water changes instead of having to take the entire piece off. I hope that makes sense.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Option 1) just pull the hinge off and use the loose glass pieces

Option 2) replace with glass or Lexan cut to fit. I like the Lexan, it doesn't seem to warp or bow like some other acrylics and you can make a 1" hole in the corner for feeding / "handle" for removing. I've done this to several smaller tanks. To span the 30"of a 29g, you'll want 1/4" Lexan making Glass the way cheaper option here.

Option 3) what @jeffkrol said. Freaking GENIOUS cutting the hinge into smaller pieces man! JMK replacement clear hinges look like a great choice too

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
This bothered me, too. On one tank I took the black plastic hinge off and made my own hinge with just silicone. It's stiff, but I can open/close it and there is no more shadow.

On another tank I have lexan panels- made a sliding lid top.

On my third tank I have loose panes that overlap a bit, I just lift them off for feeding/access.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode