my first real planted tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face my first real planted tank!

hi im new to the forum so i would firstly like to say hello to the planted tank community, hello

i need help with a tank i decided to set up a few weeks back. i have 20 years experience with fish keeping and i did have a planted tank when i was about 12 and they all died so i went back to plastic lol.

15 years on i have decided to turn a tank i had sitting round into a planted tank and give aquascaping a go so here goes brace yourself lol

i have a 3f by 1ft by 1ft that has a built in hood the light i feel personally is insufficient but hopefully you can help with that it currently has a 25w (18000k) light in the hood as it only houses one, ( im thinking about going for a light i can sit on top but im new to all this lol.

my set up consists of plants i was able to order online or get from my lfs.

i use tetraplant completesubstrate (2inches thick) fertilise with plantamin liquid fertisliser and also crypto root fertiliser, i dont use co2 as im confused about it, not by its purpose but set up and plant requirments. so i dont bother to use it, i have a co2 reader though and its too much in the morning (yellow) and just right at night (green) on top of the 2inch layer completesubstrate i have a tiny gravel i believe its about 1-2 mm thick.

when i cry (quite litrally) lol to my partner about my plants and stuff he just goes "dunno " lol so im coming here for help hoping you fine professionals can help me

ill try my best to name the plants i have currently but im not 100 % on some of them:

java fern x1
anubias nana x2
amazon swords x2
ludgwia red x1
bamboo shoots x 5 (i think )
madacascar lace x1
malayan aqua fern x1
2x spirilis type (tiny)
Cabomba Australis or a similar species x1
Hemianthus callitrichoides x 2
another fine grass type dark course leaves x 2
another small rounded leaf type i have no idea what it is lol. i think its Ammania sp. 'Bonsai' (Dwarf Bonsai)

i have 2 peices of bogwood not very big at each end with a few pebbles in random places, first when i started the wood got covered in a type of jellystuff, it is now only a tiny amount left and its browny and hairy but not hair algea just tiny hairs, i have 3 fish in the tank 2 corydoras and 1 chinese algea eater,

i have one fillter in the tank (fluval 4) with only a tiny amount of water movement on the top, my madacascar lace had one tiny leaf when i got the bulb now it has 4 huge leaves and new ones growing, the baby dragon tears (hc) which i split and planted died and i have only 2 tiny shoots of it alive and green hopefully it will thrive if i can help it. all the other plants are growing very slowly. i do a weekly water change weekly and i gently suck debris of the gravel weekly also.

i think the light is not enough but the hood is built in so not much i can do except totally replace the lid with other tubes. the temp is 74, ph 7.5, ammonia 0, nitrate 5-10 nitrite 0 last time i tested it. i keep the light on for about 10-14 hours a day.

i am so stressed out i just want a beautiful tank i did have an aqua plan but it hasnt ended up how i imagined. it looks dull and boring lol ill get some pics soon to show you, i know it takes time but i read articles online and follow other peoples experince and thats why i think something is wrong with mine.

the pic at the end the little green rounded plant im not sure what that is, or the grass type near the filter and after looking at the pics it looks good, but i notice no new growth except the odd tiny shoot.

please any advice would be appreciated and i thank you in advance

polly

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	24734  

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	24735  

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	24736  

Name:	IMG_0275.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	24737  

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	24738  

Last edited by pollymiller; 10-24-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
looks nice, but I would suggest a plain background of some sort. it will help make it look less plain and define the actual tank.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thats actually just my wallpaper in the back lol, but i did just put a background on it and i suppose it does look better that having a bold white background

thanks

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

updated pic

hi this is an updated pic of the tank with the background on.

did you mean plain as in black card or something? i just used one with plants on already and it does look better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0277[1].jpg
Views:	40
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	24739  

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Your Madagascar lace is looking a bit brown. It might be getting ready to go into a dormancy period. Don't remove the bulb thinking its dead, they do nothing for a couple months at a time, but will sprout new leaves after a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks yes i noticed the change in colour it was green a week ago and now its this color i do understand the dormancy period, but cause im new with it im not sure if i should leave it or take it out and put it in some wet peat or sand for 2 months, i only had one 25w lamp on it 18000k and i just added another light to it and its so much brighter. i also just noticed my baby dragon tears has started to shoot more than once i have 4 little single shoots of it lol, maybe it took longer to grow through the gravel.

do you think 25 watt x2 (50w) will be better than the light i had before the 25?

i aLSO took some more pics with the extra light cant believe the difference, also some pics that are abit blurry but these are shoots of my HC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	24740  

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	24741  

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	24742  

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	24743  

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice! It will look good when it grows out.

If you don't have to swim to 'scape, it just aint big 'nuff. - macclellan
10 Gallon Planted Tank
To all of you that own an Eheim-
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i hope so, i already have this tank, the aquaone 620t and a tank room which houses 10 2 ft tanks, one 4ft and one 3ft tank plus a small hexigon hospital tank lol, if it does well ill want some more Haha
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollymiller View Post
i hope so, i already have this tank, the aquaone 620t and a tank room which houses 10 2 ft tanks, one 4ft and one 3ft tank plus a small hexigon hospital tank lol, if it does well ill want some more Haha

GOLLY!! I wish I could fit that many aquariums in my room. Planted tanks are definitely addicting. I'm already trying to plan a 55 Gal.

If you don't have to swim to 'scape, it just aint big 'nuff. - macclellan
10 Gallon Planted Tank
To all of you that own an Eheim-
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
i have a co2 reader though and its too much in the morning (yellow) and just right at night (green)
I'm not sure what you mean by a CO2 reader. If it's showing too much CO2 in a non-injected tank, I don't think I would trust any reading from this device.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
It looks like he has a diffuser in one of the pictures so i'm assuming there is some form of co2 injected.
Look at the last picture posted.

So much to learn!
Going big on something so small
EBI Journal;

Hurricane Irene left my house with no power and led to the death of this tank. R.I.P. Piranhas.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi no i dont inject co2 and i have a co2 drop checker that indicates the level of co2 present. the bubble defuser is for the fish to provide abit of oxygen.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Your Madagascar lace is looking a bit brown. It might be getting ready to go into a dormancy period. Don't remove the bulb thinking its dead, they do nothing for a couple months at a time, but will sprout new leaves after a bit.
i just checked my lace plant and all though its brown i have 3 new leaves growin on it so not sure whats happening with it lol one of the leaves was an inch long yesterday and now its 3 inches long so i must be doing something right lol
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by a CO2 reader. If it's showing too much CO2 in a non-injected tank, I don't think I would trust any reading from this device.
i appreaciate what your saying but even without co2 injection there is still co2 present in any tank, small amounts maybe but you should know that, i doubt that its giving out false reading because lots of people use exactly the same drop checker i use, there on sale all over the world so some how i doubt there wrong.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Algae Grower

Nice tank! Be warned you cant just have one planted tank!
Also nice to see a fellow UK person!

WeLuvBettas!

Low tech 20 gallon.
Low tech 4 gallon shrimp haven.
Low tech 6 gallon Betta tank.
...Bit of a low tech freak.....:P

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode