drop checker - how much tank water to let in - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Syris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
drop checker - how much tank water to let in

Funny question here. My drop checker keeps slipping off the suction cup and falling to the bottom of the tank. The suction cup itself doesn't appear to be defective. Perhaps the fit isn't right. I do notice that, the more air is trapped in the fat part of the glass chamber of the drop checker, the more buoyancy the drop checker has and the more upward pressure for the unit to come off the suction cup. I'm now trying to expel more of the air bubbles in the drop checker and let the tank water come up most of the way up the chamber without spilling over to the other side and contaminating my 4dkh solution. I also want to make sure I leave enough air for the drop checker to do its thing. Just curious whether anyone else faces this issue and whether you have any other solutions. I may just need to get another drop checker. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 03:58 PM
Algae Grower

You shouldn't need to let any air out. Mine is filled with the solution, inverted, and placed on the suction mount. The first one I had did the same thing that yours is. I ended up buying a new one for 10 bucks or so off Amazon and it never slips off. In fact, it is pretty tough to get off now. I bought the NilOG Aquatics brand drop checker kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

You could use a drop checker that you hang on the glass of the aquarium. I like them. Make sure to keep the water level high. Not really a problem when doing weekly water changes.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Aquar...AbTest=ae803_3

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've replaced most suction cups with magnets. I'm done cleaning algae off the back of the tank just to get cups to work when I want to rearrange moss ledges

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
I've replaced most suction cups with magnets. I'm done cleaning algae off the back of the tank just to get cups to work when I want to rearrange moss ledges

I recommend using plastic covered rare earth magnets for this.

I just changed my 3 gallon pico tank to planted, over from reef. But when it was reef, I used those magnets to hold rocks up to create a ledge, so they can hold a few lbs pretty easy.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrebor View Post
Funny question here. My drop checker keeps slipping off the suction cup and falling to the bottom of the tank. The suction cup itself doesn't appear to be defective. Perhaps the fit isn't right. I do notice that, the more air is trapped in the fat part of the glass chamber of the drop checker, the more buoyancy the drop checker has and the more upward pressure for the unit to come off the suction cup. I'm now trying to expel more of the air bubbles in the drop checker and let the tank water come up most of the way up the chamber without spilling over to the other side and contaminating my 4dkh solution. I also want to make sure I leave enough air for the drop checker to do its thing. Just curious whether anyone else faces this issue and whether you have any other solutions. I may just need to get another drop checker. Thanks!
It's your suction cup. My drop checker is no where near being like that. As a matter of fact, I can put pressure on mine to clean it and it never moves at all.

All I know too say is clean the glass real good, clean the back of the suction cup and give it a try. Sounds like you've done that, so next step is to replace the suction cup and/or drop checker. You can get replacement suction cups at petsmart for a few dollars, actually comes in a pack of 6 or 8.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

I just changed my 3 gallon pico tank to planted, over from reef. But when it was reef, I used those magnets to hold rocks up to create a ledge, so they can hold a few lbs pretty easy.
if you can get a piece of pure nickel you attache that with glue to the drop checker and place the magnet outside of the tank. Nickel is also magnetic and it is corrosion resistant Also plants need about 1ppb of nickel to grow. So any small amount that does corrode or flake off will not hurt your tank. And also the metals of the magnet will not gt in your water.

Bump:
Quote:
Quote:

if you can get a piece of pure nickel you attache that with glue to the drop checker and place the magnet outside of the tank. Nickel is also magnetic and it is corrosion resistant Also plants need about 1ppb of nickel to grow. So if any small amount that does corrode or flake off will not hurt your tank. And also the metals of the magnet will not get in your water. You can get nickel and nickel iron alloy from mcmaster.com
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all! I am going to look into replacement suction cups and/or magnets. My "solution" at the moment is to let the drop checker sit at the bottom of the tank. No fish so no problem!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 01:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I picked up a tip some where about old stiff suction cups. I put my drop checker suction cup in a coffee mug and water. I microwave it a minute then let it sit a few more minutes in the hot water. I then quickly set it up and the cool water from the tank cools it down and it stays stuck very well. HTH
Kubla and Kubla like this.

55g High Tech- Finnex Planted+ LED, Fluval 305 canister filter, Penguin 350 HOB filter, pressurized 10# CO2 w/GLA Atomic CO2 Diffuser, Hydor Koralia Nano 565 Circ. pump, Dry fert EI dosing.

10g Low Tech- Nicrew LED, Aqueon QuietFlow 10 HOB filter, Seachem Excel, minimum dry fert EI dosing.

SHUTDOWN 5/2016(36x18x16)Med Tech - 96w PC strip light, pressurized 10# CO2 w/powerhead injection, Dry fert EI dosing, Fluval canister filter, Flourite Dark substrate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode