My 5.5 gal struggles - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 5.5 gal struggles

Got a 5.5 gallon tank up and running trying to get it cycled so i can have some shrimp in it. The first week everything seemed pretty fine and amazing with my plants thriving and seeing new growth. I was dosing flourish twice a week only up to the first ring of the cap so only a few drops twice a week. Then i started getting string algae so i cut back my lights from 12 hrz to 8.5 hrs this was the second week of cycling. While this was happening i noticed my growth slowed and some of my leaves started to turn yellow and even my duckweed started to turn yeloow then to white with string algae covering their bottom roots so i pulled them out. I was recommended equilibrium once every two weeks so i put 1 dose of 1/4 tsp. All this time ive been doing 50% water changes every week. Come today i find cyanobacteria has covered some of my leaves. I clearly must be screwing up this tank. Looking for advice. Im also using ro water that is remineralized with 50% dechlorinated water. Gonna go in and clean up my tank and get this cyanobacteria out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurclassic5 View Post
Got a 5.5 gallon tank up and running trying to get it cycled so i can have some shrimp in it. The first week everything seemed pretty fine and amazing with my plants thriving and seeing new growth. I was dosing flourish twice a week only up to the first ring of the cap so only a few drops twice a week. Then i started getting string algae so i cut back my lights from 12 hrz to 8.5 hrs this was the second week of cycling. While this was happening i noticed my growth slowed and some of my leaves started to turn yellow and even my duckweed started to turn yeloow then to white with string algae covering their bottom roots so i pulled them out. I was recommended equilibrium once every two weeks so i put 1 dose of 1/4 tsp. All this time ive been doing 50% water changes every week. Come today i find cyanobacteria has covered some of my leaves. I clearly must be screwing up this tank. Looking for advice. Im also using ro water that is remineralized with 50% dechlorinated water. Gonna go in and clean up my tank and get this cyanobacteria out.

i would cut back the light.

12hours = i would consider this the maximum
3hours = i would consider this the minimum

you're at 8 hours, cut back some more.

I would also cut about 50% or 75% of your fertz out. you're feed the algae when you put too much fertz.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Will do! Thanks for the reply. Ill cut my lights back alot while monitoring this cyanobacteria. I got alot of it out yesterday but it kinda just came back again today. Its the only thing im worried about atm.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Have you been keeping an eye on your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Do you have an idea of what GH and KH you want to run the tank at?

What substrate are you using?

Generally speaking, shrimp do best with stability. That tank, especially with 50% water changes, will not be that stable for shrimp.

If you don't have experience keeping shrimp, then I'd recommend starting with a 10 gallon tank, as the water parameters, and temperature, will be more stable. The smaller tank can be used to grow plants in.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I have been testing with my master test kit ammonia is .25 ppm nitrites really high .50 to 1 ppm and nitrates were around 5.0 ppm maybe a lil higher this was all before my water change. Still cycling. Gh and kh im not sure how to test besides with the strips. I just thought shrimp would be way cooler then a betta but i guess im having problems with stability atm and shrimp would be a bad idea.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurclassic5 View Post
I have been testing with my master test kit ammonia is .25 ppm nitrites really high .50 to 1 ppm and nitrates were around 5.0 ppm maybe a lil higher this was all before my water change. Still cycling. Gh and kh im not sure how to test besides with the strips. I just thought shrimp would be way cooler then a betta but i guess im having problems with stability atm and shrimp would be a bad idea.
API sells a GH/kH liquid test kit. I highly recommend you get one esp since you are remineralizing with equilibrium. Using equilibrium shouldn't be a thing you just do once in a while. You should really only need to add any when you do partial water changes.

Are you using any kind of pH buffers?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 05:59 AM
Algae Grower

What kind of shrimp are you planning to get?
Ghost shrimp?
Ammano shrimp?
Cherry shrimp?
Chrysta shimp?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode