New To Freshwater Tropical Fish and Wanting Advice on Lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New To Freshwater Tropical Fish and Wanting Advice on Lighting

Hi All,

I am new to keeping tropical freshwater fish and have recently purchased a 50L Blue Planet fish tank secondhand with 13 tertras, 3 guppys, a fighting fish, and a catfish. The tank was initially pretty dirty so I have given it a good clean and they all seem happy at the moment.

The tank came with some live plants (java moss, java fern, and another plant that I cannot identify). Currently, the light above the tank is the standard Blue Planet 11W AA11W-e27 globe that comes with the tank.

I am wondering if that is enough light to make sure the plants are healthy and growing, and was hoping to get your knowledgeable advice on an alternative bulb that I might be able to replace it with? In its current position, the tank is not really getting much daylight so any help would be great!

I have attached a photo of the tank in its current condition to this post.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish tank.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	782777  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Algae Grower

The plants you have in your Aquarium are low light plants. Therefore the light you have will be fine.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Algae Grower

If you do plan on having plants with different requirements. the right back side of your tank looks pretty dark. so, in that case, you'd have to replace it I think.
but for now looks nice. also good job on the cleaning that tank looks crystal clear.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozatron View Post
Hi All,

I am new to keeping tropical freshwater fish and have recently purchased a 50L Blue Planet fish tank secondhand with 13 tertras, 3 guppys, a fighting fish, and a catfish. The tank was initially pretty dirty so I have given it a good clean and they all seem happy at the moment.

The tank came with some live plants (java moss, java fern, and another plant that I cannot identify). Currently, the light above the tank is the standard Blue Planet 11W AA11W-e27 globe that comes with the tank.

I am wondering if that is enough light to make sure the plants are healthy and growing, and was hoping to get your knowledgeable advice on an alternative bulb that I might be able to replace it with? In its current position, the tank is not really getting much daylight so any help would be great!

I have attached a photo of the tank in its current condition to this post.

Thanks!!
That looks like a Hottonia Palustris on the corner. The fighting fish ( if a betta/siamese ) is very likely to cause you a lot of problems, in terms of aggression.

What is the lumen rating of your 11W light? Lots of bulbs share the E27 socket, what kind of light is it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode