The reason to use a QT! - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By ChrisX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The reason to use a QT!

Two weeks ago, I bought 50 Neon tetras from Petco ($1/ea). Within the first 48 hours, ten of them passed, but the other have colored up, are schooling, and eating like miniature pirannhas. There was even a mass spawning in the first week.

One of the larger Neons had its tail bitten off (probably by Serpae tetra in store tank), and I've been watching it grow back. Over two weeks, the tail went from nothing to about half sized.

Because I was watching this fish so closely, yesterday I noticed a small white fleck on its side. There was also one other fish with a white spec on its tail. I began treating for Ick. This morning I don't see any specs on fish, which means they probably are in the free swimming state, or it was just a random grain of sand or something else stuck to it. Hopefully I can nip this in the bud with ick meds and daily water changes.

Also just to be sure, I am using API General Cure to handle any unseen parasites. I realize I have no idea where these fish have been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:59 PM
Algae Grower

Not only that but the amount of fish that come into a fish store. Unless the tanks are drained and dried regularly(which is too much to do for any fish store), usually the parasites go on to the next batch of fish and so on (IMO). Even if the fish aren't showing signs of disease they can still be carrying it. Added my last fish to a fully stock reef and it ended up having velvet or ick and wiping out the whole tank.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleuwater View Post
Not only that but the amount of fish that come into a fish store. Unless the tanks are drained and dried regularly(which is too much to do for any fish store), usually the parasites go on to the next batch of fish and so on (IMO). Even if the fish aren't showing signs of disease they can still be carrying it. Added my last fish to a fully stock reef and it ended up having velvet or ick and wiping out the whole tank.
These 40 Neons don't seem overcrowded in their 10g QT. I'll probably keep them in there 1-2 months, no need to add them now.

Also, it makes me wonder when I see the new trend on YouTube fish channels, of guys adding 300 fish at once to their MT. I'm sure it gets clicks, but not sure how good it is to do that.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
The only times I've added new purchases to my main tank, the main tank was completely unpopulated, or at least, not populated with anything important. And it's not just the regular parasites, there's worming and quite likely, internal bacterial infections, particularly for bottom feeders and carnivores which often feed on dead tankmates (actually, I watched a walmart employee netting out dead guppies and feeding them to the oscars once).

I've gotten to where I assume a fish is sick and treat it for whatever its species is most likely to have - livebearers and tetras get treated for columnaris, livebearers also get wormed. Angels get wormed and treated for hex. Easier to fix it when fish aren't symptomatic than when they're dropping like flies and you need the meds yesterday.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode