need some help - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
need some help

someone gave me a 150 gal. tank. 24 fish. have had it for 2 weeks. beautiful, clear & all fish are coexisting. 7 angel fish, 4 cichlids, 5 rainbow red tail shark etc.....etc.... want to introduce some shrimp. the angels stay in the plant area & don't seem aggressive at all. do you think the shrimp will survive? I know you all have answered the survival rate question before, but wanted to interject the idea that they seem to live peacefully with other smaller fish with no problem. am I naive? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
No, yes, you're welcome.
sohankpatel and sohankpatel like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
If the angels don't eat the shrimp (which they totally will) then the cichlids and shark will. I had a group of emerald dwarf rasboras take out a thriving colony of cherry shrimp once because I really wanted it to work out. It did not

Certain larger species like bamboo, waterfall, or full grown 2" Amano shrimp would have the best chance, but still will prob get eaten by somebody in there when they molt and have soft bodies. Those are semi-aggressive fish by nature. Even peaceful fish eat shrimp

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd say that they'd prolly be doomed.

Having 'said' that, I have a couple of medium sized angels along with a bunch of live bearers.
When fry are first born, the angels hunt them for SNACKS...but to my amazement, after a couple of days, the fry swim freely and the angels just seem to ignore them....believe it or not!
So there can be exceptions to every rule.

Perhaps you add a couple of shrimp and don't be too surprised if/when they come up missing???

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Planted Member

Shrimp, as cool as they are, are sadly at the very bottom of the food chain after vegetation. Even some whales live on a shrimp diet (well, krill). I very much doubt it would work. Why not just buy a 5 gallon tank for them?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode