Can I have a successful planted tank? photo period related. - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By xmas_one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I have a successful planted tank? photo period related.

Currently I have a 55 gallon cichlid tank in my computer room. I want to switch it to planted tank but I'm curious about the lighting. This room the lights are never turned off. I live near Detroit and there is a lot of stuff going on in my neighborhood at night. I leave the lights on in my computer room 24/7 because I don't want the crooks to know when I'm sleeping. I'm go outside at night to smoke. I'm trying to stay unpredictable. Cars are being stolen and my neighbors homes have been broken into.

Anyways my cichlid tank gets ambient light from the room. It never gets complete darkness. Would this effect a planted tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Might I suggest collecting firearms as a new hobby?
ChrisX, ChrisX, csimon1 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think you would have a problem. Many people run moonlights on their tank, so it's never in complete darkness either. The ambient room light is not as bright as you think.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Planted Member

The other thing you could do is put the lights on a motion-activated switch just outside the room so it's not on all the time. It would keep the lighting unpredictable and still have darkness most of the night. Just spitballing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

I might be tempted to mount a florescent light on a timer above the window and behind the drapes.

Room light is not really a problem for plants and fish. Your bigger problem may be the cichlids as it's my understanding that they are rough on plants and most cichlid tanks feature rocks instead of plants.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Might I suggest collecting firearms as a new hobby?
If I could I would but I can't pass a fbi background check. I would love to buy a pistol or two. I was involuntarily hospitalized for schizophrenia 20 years ago. I can buy riffles and shotguns but not a hand gun. Living where I'm at I'm a target for the predictors in the area. I've gone to the store late at night to buy smokes and I've been in a couple situations the hair on my neck stood up. I've had to grow eyeballs in the back of my head. I lived here 40 years I've seen a lot of bad things happen over the years and it's only getting worse. The only reason I'm still here is so my grandmother don't have to live alone.

Bump: Thanks for the input everyone I'll take it into consideration.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry to hear your situation. My brother in law comes from a very tough area in Ohio. He told me that his father once got caught with an illegal handgun he carried for protection. His dad told the cop "I'd rather have you catch me with it than one of these idiots catch me without it."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

photo period for plants is fine. its more of a challenge for the fishes as they need sleep.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode