CO2 controller not engaging due to stable PH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 controller not engaging due to stable PH

This question I am sure has been asked before but I have not been able to locate a direct answer either on this forum or on other resources as well.

First some details:

Tank/filter - 125 gallon tank with sump with two filter socks and a refugium with java moss and java fern.
Lighting - 2 x 18" Satellite Plus Pro freshwater and 1 x 48" Satellite Plus Pro freshwater
In the Tank -
  • Eco Complete substrate to approximately 3"
  • 3 Large pieces of Malaysian driftwood
  • 80 or so tetras of different species, 2 GBR, 3 Angelfish, 1 Roseline shark, 6 corys, snails and shrimp for cleanup crew
  • 2 large sword plants and 3 dwarf swords, 1 crypt, 1 java fern mat. 3 bunches microswords, 1 water sprite, 1 dwarf lily, 6 bunches val, 4-5 anubias, and 3 anachris like plant that I can't recall the name.
Water Parameters
PH - hovers around 7.02 - 7.04 lately
KH - 3
GH -7
TDS - 220
Temp - 82.5

PH System
I have a 10# cylinder hooked to a CarbonDoser regulator controlled by a American Marine Pinpoint PH controller that feeds to an AquariumPlants.com reactor before returning to the tank. Set with a high point of 7.2 and low of 6.8 as per the recommendations in the user manual.

I do 20% water changes weekly with a 70/30 RO to Tap ratio to maintain the same parameters as tank.

Now to my quandary. When I first installed the CO2 system it would engage about 1 hour after lights on as the PH exceeded the high point and would remain on for 4-5 hours before reaching the low point and shutting off. It would not engage at night and the PH would remain in range until lights on. For the past week and 1/2 the controller has not engaged and the PH has remained extremely stable day and night. Plant growth is not exceptional but everything looks healthy and nothing is melting. Should I be concerned that I am not injecting any CO2 at this point or will the plant s eventually use enough during photo period to start engaging the controller again? Should I lower the high and low settings to get the controller engaged? I have minimal algae growth that is so far controlled by the snails and amano shrimp with little cleanup required by me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Planted Member

Probably reset your low point would be the solution, I know most guys shoot for one full pH level drop with most high tech CO2 injection systems by lights-on. I'm only regurgitating information though, I don't have a high tech setup. Someone with more experience should probably comment.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 01:06 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Recommended pH is nonsense really. Your only aim should be to get your pH down by 0,8-1,0. Turn the CO2 off, let the tank water degas for a few hours (preferably 24h), measure pH, set high point to measured pH minus 0,8 and low point at -1,0. With 1,0 pH drop I'm getting to 6,0 in my tank, no worries at all :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode