1Likes
  • 2 Post By KrypleBerry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Much Discussed Topic

All,

First off new to the forum so hi all and sorry if this is duplicate from my earlier post however it seems as that post didn't post if i did just delete this one as well as i am sure this post will be riddled with pore grammar and misspellings.

so to start i have been in the hobby for a few years with small stuff here and there i went off to college and am now settled and getting back into the hobby again. i did alot of research into the aquarium hobby before diving back in and decide to try my luck with a planted tank. so i built a stand and got myself a 40 gallon breeder during the dollar per gallon sale at petco/petsmart don't remember which even though it was only a month and a half ago. i figured out the plats i wanted to grow and got it all set up as seen below.

as i stated a did a significant amount of research so i knew the problem i now have was a posibility. i bleach dipped all of my plants i think however it was a pretty hectic day when i did as i ad just returned home from my grandmas funeral and there was some family arriving shortly behind me so i was rushed to say the least and a few weeks later this guy gets spotted

so needless to say i am now trying to get rid of snails in the tank. when i saw them i had put in some nerite snails as well as a couple of oto cats. i removed the nerites and ran to my lfs for some yoyos unfortunately they were sold out but they did have some zebra loaches which were purchased and put into the 40 gallon directly with no quarantine aaaaaa. i did dose the tank with my typical meds however and the fish see, to be doing good. i am still however finding a couple of these snails say once every 3 days or so. I have done a significant amount of research on these guys so i know the first reply to this post already will be one of the following 3 get assassin snails, snails are good for a planted aquarium , of dude you are screwed. i am hoping that through this we may help each other as i am willing to try some things but heres the deal and why i am posting now with some urgency as i have an order of shrimp coming in on FRIDAY!!!! that is important because once that happens my only option with starting all over is assassin snails which i really don't find that appealing personally especially since i have some nerites i want to put in here. so here are a couple thoughts that i have and why i am reaching out to you guys for your expertise in the planted aquarium hobby as these are two options i did not find in my research but thought the seemed to make since to me . keep in mind i have 5 days to complete this task and i do have another tank i can house fish from 40 g in during these 5 days.

option 1
full water change with tap water that is not declorinated.
potential problems i currently see
- Kills my plants
- Kills my benificial bacteria ( i am pretty confident this option will do this however there is some pretty incredible products on the market that can basically jump start your bacteria so i think i will be ok land ike i said i have other aquariums running so i can bring in some from there via filtration/gravel.)
- plum doesnt work

option 2 add a bunch of ammonia
better option i think but am unsure again with the potential problems being about the same.
potential problems i currently see
- Kills my plants
- Kills my benificial bacteria (I do not believe this would do anything but help the bacteria thoughts? however as stated previously if it does there is some pretty incredible products on the market that can basically jump start your bacteria so i think i will be ok and like i said i have other aquariums running so i can bring in some from there via filtration/gravel.)
- plum doesnt work

any and all thoughts on the mater are appreciated if you made this far in my post thanks for the read hope you all are having a good time with your tanks.

Last edited by fishman479; 08-14-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: same pic twice sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Zebra loaches will keep them in check unless you massively over feed the tank.
Can't say whether the nerites would be safe with the loaches (don't think so).
Another trick is to place a small net flat on the substrate and then place a algae wafer or small slice of zucchini in the net at light's out for the day.
By morning,the snail's will all(or a lot of em) be inside the net where the algae wafer is or zucchini, and you can just lift the net out and remove possible nerites and toss the rest.
I personally have all manner of snail's and don't give them much mind.
They mostly eat mulm ,detritus,and leaves of plant's that are old and or doing poorly and I should have removed anyhow.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the net tip will give that a shot. the loaches will not be able to stay in this tank do to the shrimpies that are coming in friday. thanks for the tip again

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I personally keep assassins. I have nerites as well with no issues and my snail population stays well managed. I only ever see tiny babies then they vanish within days. My assassins wont kill nerites unless they are weak, or very old (near death). They prefer baby snails that have no defense. I stock assassins at 1 per 10 gallons with no regrets, food supply limits their population. I jumped into planted tanks expecting snails as an inevitability and planned accordingly much as I would have planned a reef tank with predators to control various populations of invertebrates that would be undesirable in large populations while maintaining various shrimp, clams, snails, and crabs that I do find desirable as a clean up crew. In this way the baby snails in moderation are actually a beneficial part of my clean up crew while they live instead of a looming menace. On another note Potassium permanganate is used as a snail dip and works fairly well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:26 PM
Planted Member

Agree with the zucchini trap and toss, it works. Pest snails do play a role in the planted tank and I don't pay attention to them.
Tap water won't kill them. (Survived a bleach dip, right?)
Ammonia won't kill them. I was cycling my 40B and had a snail explosion while all parameters were off the charts, and continued while dosing 6ppm daily. Before vacation I dosed 18 ppm, didn't kill snails. Nitrite got as high as 200 ppm (yep) and nitrate unreadable as well, still snails. These guys are like cockroaches, they can survive nuclear explosions!
I have actually embraced my ramshorns, as I think they look nice (that's what you have there) and have pond snails as well, and I toss them when I find them. Sometimes. Most times I really don't care. Nerites clean the glass, these guys clean the plant leaves.
I figure pest snails are inevitable in a planted tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 Gallon Bowfront Planted w/ Angelfish, GBR, Rummynose, Corydoras Aeneus albino, Mystery & Nerite snails
2x 5 Gallon planted with betta, Mystery & Nerite Snails
40 Gallon Breeder Planted w/ Blue Tetra
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ditto the trap. A net, small dish, whatever. Put in a little bit of food and at night, they'll crowd in to it to eat and you can just lift it out and get rid of the snails.
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

maybe i should just get a couple assassins. will females lay eggs even if not bred? obviously they would be infertile but am just curious. i was really hopping to not have these pest snails in my life :'( how many assassins would i need would one be able to stay on top of things?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman479 View Post
maybe i should just get a couple assassins. will females lay eggs even if not bred? obviously they would be infertile but am just curious. i was really hopping to not have these pest snails in my life :'( how many assassins would i need would one be able to stay on top of things?
Yes females will lay eggs, they arent as annoying as nerite eggs though. Id like to tell you one will limit breeding possibilities and ensure you have only one but its honestly a gamble... a male, sure. If you get a female she may or may not be packed up already with all she needs to lay fertile eggs and at this point alone you are at a 33.3% chance of having a colony of assassin snails. As stated before however availability of food will limit their population, so dont over feed your fish, and keep up on water changes and general tank maintenance to limit algae outbreaks that feed pest snails and in turn assassin snails and you shouldnt have a problem. Assassin snails in freshwater are exactly like Nassarius snails in reefs (I used them the same), opportunistic predators that also scavenge. I found them invaluable for their service and credited them for a portion of my tanks overall stability. They also burry when they sleep in sand/soil bottom tanks so they help turn over the top inch or so of substrate here and there. As I see it they are part of a healthy balanced ecosystem. I stock 1 per 10 gallons without issue and they continually hunt and scavange, they dont bother my shrimp either. I have heavily planted tanks with lots of stems and moss that brought a variety of snails in but have yet to see one larger than the head of a ball point pen and even those were lucky to have gotten that far. They will eat eggs too. Whelks are interesting to watch and sometimes surprising.
sdwindansea and sdwindansea like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

does anyone know how long an assassin snail lays eggs after it has been bread? maybe i could get one as my problem is currently under control and throw him in the dreaded betta bowl aka a vase with some gravel in the bottom for a couple days before i introduce him/her to the tank
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Dwarf cichlids will eat the smaller ones and keep the population in check. I had an infestation, after adding a shoal of keyhole cichlids, they were gone in a couple days.

Apistos, keyholes, rams probably all eat the small ones.

I still have a couple big ones (1cm) in my MT, but the population never grows because the cichlids always pick off the small/medium sized ones.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

good to know. i think the biggest issue at this point is that the shrimp will be here friday and i would like them to get established in the tank as well as my plants grow in a little better before i add fish. i know the fish will eat my shrimp but once established should be ok i think. I know with my size of tank i should get more than one assassin but i do believe that the snail population is very in check as i watch this tank hard and have seen at most 3 sails in there which was the day i added the loaches. since then no more than 1 or two a few days later and 1 or 2 again this weekend. if the population starts increasing i will then put in the appropriate amount of assassins. is this reasonable or ridiculous. is there any chance the loaches will have the snail problem eradicated by Friday?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode