what are the pros and cons in maintaining bigger aquariums? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
what are the pros and cons in maintaining bigger aquariums?

I started aquascaping with three nano tanks... now I want to upgrade into bigger tank like 60cm to 120cm. Is bigger planted aquarium like 90cm. harder to maintain?
Aceman and Aceman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
I currently have a 20g low tech, 40g high tech and 75g high tech. I seldom do much to the low tech tank except feed, fertilize and change water (pretty easy). The high tech tanks are definitely more work - more cleaning, more trimming, more fun LOL. Obviously a bigger tank means buying more plants / equipment.
thedood and thedood like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
With larger aquariums, you have a larger amount of water, meaning changes will take longer (a bit more buffer space if you have an ammonia spike, etc).

However, the cons are that you will have to buy more plants, more hardscaping pieces, and of course, more water will be required.

Maintenance wise, if you have a low tech aquarium, it will definitely be easier than if you had a high tech aquarium.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhiz View Post
I started aquascaping with three nano tanks... now I want to upgrade into bigger tank like 60cm to 120cm. Is bigger planted aquarium like 90cm. harder to maintain?
If you really enjoy the hobby I'd say the only cons are that bigger tanks tend to be more expensive. Bigger filters, more substrate, more plants, bigger lights, more ferts, and if you are like me and just love the hobby you will probably eventually want to get CO2 etc...

Bigger tanks are a bit more work (longer water changes, takes longer to vacuum gravel etc) but I think if you want a bigger tank you probably don't mind this stuff that much. I personally enjoy maintaining my tank.
quiquik and quiquik like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Bigger tanks = more room for plant's ,fishes.
More stable than smaller tanks with respect to that which can influence water chemistry like fish waste,fish food's.
More difficult to ensure good CO2 throughout in high tech CO2 injected.
That's my take anyway.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

The other plus to large tanks is that if you do them well, they just seem to have that "wow factor" you just can't get in smaller tanks. Not that a small tank can't be a real gem, and look fantastic, but a large tank lets you do things that just can't be done in a small tank.

Yes, you do pay a price in the total cost to run a large tank and with the amount of work involved.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:12 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The bigger tank the easier, I have a 345l tank, 27l and 18l. 345 is just going on it's own. It will forgive 4 week break in cleaning, it will forgive dosing too much or not dosing at all for some time. It's much more stable and fish are safer this way. The cost is bigger, but I would say it's not linear. 300l tank with equipment won't cost you 10x what 30l costs, more like 5x.
GraphicGr8s and GraphicGr8s like this.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Cons: Equipment cost.

Pros: Everything else.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah everything has been said.

Bigger tanks more possibilities, easier to create depth. Also possible in nano but harder IMO.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
The bigger tank the easier, I have a 345l tank, 27l and 18l. 345 is just going on it's own. It will forgive 4 week break in cleaning, it will forgive dosing too much or not dosing at all for some time. It's much more stable and fish are safer this way. The cost is bigger, but I would say it's not linear. 300l tank with equipment won't cost you 10x what 30l costs, more like 5x.
Exactly. My 90 and 75 are way easier to take care of then the 10's 20's etc. And when you do make a mistake it is a lot more forgiving on a larger tank.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's often said that a larger tank (body of water) is more forgiving than a small tank, but I question it. All things being equal, a larger tank is likely going to have more fish (a larger bio-load) and if you're using additives, you're likely going to using proportionately more....so it's kinda the same....just bigger!

The pros are a much bigger display, more and potentially larger fish and larger plants (my 24" Amazon Sword just wouldn't work in a nano tank.

The cons are that the bigger tank, filter(s), lights, amount of substrate/plants/stock/ferts... is gonna cost more. It's also gonna require somewhat more ongoing maintenance. More glass to clean, more water to change, more filter media to deal with, plants to trim/replant...
And high tech vs. low tech means increased cost and effort to maintain.

Having said all that, if you're just dipping your toe in the hobby, smaller is better. Often newbies lose interest and tanks and fish suffer until folks give up. However, if you've been in the hobby awhile, I feel bigger is better as there are just more things you can do.
In my youth I had 10g, 20g, and 29g tanks, but feel my current 60g, in many ways, out shines them all.
As mentioned, that's not to say you can't have a really nice 5g tank. When I was a boy, my mom had a 5g slate bottomed metaframe tank with a bubble up filter. She always had floating anacharis and 5 of the most beautiful, healthy and long lived fish....and this tank rarely saw a partial water change and was topped off with tap water! .... I guess the floating anacharis were a nitrate sponge?

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If youre an avid hobbyist and will be doing this long term get the largest tank you feel comfortable fitting in your home. Ive never heard an aquarist say "Man, I need a smaller tank". Lol
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Take a drop of food coloring and place it in a cup of water.
Then place the same drop in 5 gal bucket of water, and you get an idea as to dilution capabilities of larger volume of water over smaller volume with respect to waste.
Folks' with small tanks also over stock and over feed (especially newbies) and larger volume of water would be my choice all day.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:30 PM

what are the pros and cons in maintaining bigger aquariums?

650l liter tank and even bigger would be better. More important is to remove the feces regularly. After feeding my 25 discus each time I remove them (3 times a day and 1 more before bed time) with a suction pump and no problems at all. This is easier with bare bottom thank though. These changes require around 20-30l water replacement (with a water pump easy job). BB is highly recommended for beginners and even for everyone who doesn't wish to spend a lot of time for plants. 20% water change a week and no problems over a year and fish grew a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Take a drop of food coloring and place it in a cup of water.
Then place the same drop in 5 gal bucket of water, and you get an idea as to dilution capabilities of larger volume of water over smaller volume with respect to waste.
Folks' with small tanks also over stock and over feed (especially newbies) and larger volume of water would be my choice all day.
Pretty much what I've been telling people that see my tanks and want to "start small". Been my Mantra since 1980.
Friends look at my tanks and they want to get one. When they ask what size I always tell them to start with a 29. And when they ask why not a 10 I pretty much tell them because when you overfeed them (knowing full well they will) it won't be as bad in the larger tank.
roadmaster and roadmaster like this.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode