problem with dwarf gourami - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
problem with dwarf gourami

I've had my dwarf gourami for about 7 months now and it was perfectly fine when I left for a trip 2 weeks ago. The first image below is what it has looked like the entire time I have had it. Note the bright red and blue colors.

While I was gone, my friend fed my fish every other day and I had timers on my lights. She said she didn't notice anything wrong with my fish, but she wasn't really paying attention.

When I got back, I noticed that the gourami had lost nearly all it's red coloration and is nearly translucent now. Near the tail, there is a football shaped bump that appears to be an air bubble. I can't say if it's affecting his swimming or not. It seems to move around okay, and doesn't flop onto it's side or anything, but sometimes it looks as though the body sways one way because of the bubble. I thought that this might be the swim bladder that is now more apparent since his coloration is gone, but I'm not sure.

It's behavior has been for the most part normal. It swims around the tank normally and eats, though maybe not as aggressively as before.

All the other fish (black neon, neon, SAE, guppies) and ghost shrimp are normal. Any ideas what's going on? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gourami.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	24599  

Name:	IMG_7528.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	24600  

Name:	IMG_7530.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	24601  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds and looks like Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus/Disease to me. I had two Dwarf Powder Blues for over a year and then one day... they both got sick and died. I'm not sure what triggered it and I didn't even know about the disease specific to Dwarf Gourami's until I asked a lfs why they would both up and die like that.

Something must have stressed your fish for the virus to take hold. How often do you normally do water changes? Could the lack of water changes those two weeks throw your parameters off? Was your friend over feeding causing decay in the water? Any number of things could of triggered it.

It is my understanding that although DG are the primary carrier of the virus, once the virus takes hold and symptoms begin, it can be contagious to your other fish as well. I suggest you take him out and place him in quarantine.

Quote:
Dwarf gourami iridovirus is apparently specific to the dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia), including the various fancy varieties of the species, such as neon gouramis and sunset gouramis. Infected fish develop a variety of symptoms, including loss of color, decrease in activity and appetite, the appearance of sores and lesions on the body, abdominal swelling and finally death. This fish disease is highly contagious, completely untreatable and invariably fatal.

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode