Setting up a new 33 gallon Mr. Aqua, and will be doing a dry start with HC and S. Repens, will add some Blyxa Japonica behind to rock to the right when I fill up the tank.
The filter is a wet/dry, light is a 10K Buildmyled that I had bought a few years ago and had it brand new in the box, Aquasoil and the stand is custom built. There will be CO2 when I fill the tank.
I drained the water that was pooling on the front left after I took this pictures so there is very little water above the substrate. My plan was to keep the water level below the surface, but I ran into a little issue:
I first set up the layout earlier this week and then ordered the plants online which I received today. When I first opened the Aquasoil to set up the layout it was a little moist but after a few days of sitting in my tank waiting for the plants it completely dried out. Today when I added water I noticed it wasn't absorbing in the Aquasoil at all, and wasn't wicking up at all the same way it would have if I had not let it completely dry out:
This is why I tried to add a little more water to try to get more of the AS to soak a little, but anything above the water line is totally dry so I'm not sure whether the plants on the steeper parts are going to make it. I sprayed the plants and then completely sealed the top for now hoping that would help things a little but will need to air it out often to keep fungus at bay.
I'm hoping with the tank sealed overnight the Aquasoil will have absorbed some moisture to wick the water up a little. I'll report back on progress.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk