• 10 Post By DaveK
  • 2 Post By slythy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
XL Dream Awuarium

Hey guys,
In about a year we will be renovating our vacation basement and how cool would it be to have a build in aquarium. Like a big one! Like a 200g big!! Would it be a realistic dream?
In summer times we are there every other week and in fall and spring someone is there every other week. In winter time we are there at least once a month.
In the cold cold basement we are planning to have a bar so I'm hoping we can run a water line in to the bar counter and the tank would be somewhere around there. It would make water changes easy.
I don't want big fish. Maybe like 50 Rummynose and a few Cory and some Otos. Simple so that once a month water change can work...... maybe all shrimp lol.
Don't know about the plants but I don't mind Co2 and I'm willing to have an automatic doser. I like simple clean aquascapes. Dwarf hair grass on rolling hills? An island?
Come dream with me lol. And let's talk about the $$$ lol. How much am I looking at here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Price would depend on if you got something like a 220, or a 240 which do come in a standard size, or got it custom made to fit into a specific area. Custom made would be 2k-3k. You could use a drip system and just do a constant water changes by just tapping into the cold water line and run it through a carbon filter for chlorine. A drip system would mean that you wouldn't need to water changes at all.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

XL Dream Awuarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Price would depend on if you got something like a 220, or a 240 which do come in a standard size, or got it custom made to fit into a specific area. Custom made would be 2k-3k. You could use a drip system and just do a constant water changes by just tapping into the cold water line and run it through a carbon filter for chlorine. A drip system would mean that you wouldn't need to water changes at all.

Ooooo I have not thought about a drip system. That would be super neat.
The water there is stupidity hard. And they get really cold winters. The room and tank would be heated always but I'm worried an outer pipe might burst.

And just a standard size would be fine. I would build a middle wall and have the tank be a room divider. The back room would be Storage and the water heater would be there. The main room would be my husbands (and mine... I'm more of a man then he is and he would agree with that statement lol) man cave.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by viwwo View Post
... In winter time we are there at least once a month. ...
That creates a major problem for you right off the bat. It's going to be very difficult to properly maintain such a system because it's got to run without any one being there for weeks at a time. Something goes bad, and you arrive to a big mess to clean up. In addition, it's a vacation home, so you go there to relax, not to get involved in a large aquarium project. Large tanks do require quite a bit of work from time to time.

I'd say dream about it, but I don't recommend trying to go through with the project, unless you are going to be there a lot more often.
deeda, deeda, viwwo and 7 others like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm with DaveK on this - I'd expect to spend 1 - 2 hours a week, every week maintaining a tank like this....cleaning the glass, partial water change, plant and filter maintenance.... not to mention the 'risk' in being away so much of the time (I take precautions and still cross my fingers when I'm away for a week to ten days). I also like the idea/dream of a large built in aquarium but not in a vacation home I'd be away from much of the time.
I also like the idea of a drip system, but even with a bullet proof overflow, I wouldn't want to be away weeks at a time.
So keep dreaming, but maybe not doing. :-)

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

XL Dream Awuarium

A friend of mine has a 75g tank and he changes waster once every 2 months. It's well planted and it has fish in it. The only think he does is adds water to it every now and then. When I had my 30 long I use to do 10% every two weeks. A month is not that long for a water change.
+I was thinking of getting two of everything. Two filters two water heaters to whatever. So if something breaks I know it's not the end. Also, if something breaks the house is over two hours away and I work from home so it's not a big deal getting there. As for cleaning... I like to clean *blush.* it should not be such a problem to let water poor out in to a skink while changing one filter and putting in ferts and adding food etc.
But I did ask this question and if you guys really think it's a dumb idea then I guess it is.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 12:37 AM
Planted Member

Look at my build in my signature. Its pretty close to a no expense spared kind of build. If you have any questions let me know!
viwwo and viwwo like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I don't see anything in your signature.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Kubla on the you can't but on the website you should be able... I still have not viewed it but in guessing it's the one about his 180g tank. @slythy please can you post a link in the comments.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I don't see anything in your signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viwwo View Post
@Kubla on the you can't but on the website you should be able... I still have not viewed it but in guessing it's the one about his 180g tank. @slythy please can you post a link in the comments.

woops

CLICK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode