Incredible pearling! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Incredible pearling!

Im confused if this is pearling or not...

but it happens occasionaly that small bubbles are released from some plants in a small line...

after large water changes though... every plant in my tank will be covered with bubbles a hour or so after the change... currently EVERYTHING is covered in bubbles...

is it pearling or some other thing?

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
The first one is a type of pearling called 'streaming.' The second is typically referred to as 'false pearling' and happens because there is a lot of gases in water from the tap.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

is streaming as awesome as the regular large bubble pearling?
or is it just ok?

does it mean im doing a good job?

SunSun Pimp #39

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The bubbles in a line can also be coming from damaged plant tissue, such as a pinhole in a leaf, or the end of a stem where you trimmed it.

Normally, you won't see true pearling without good CO2 injection. Plants don't have to be pearling to be healthy and growing, and pearling doesn't mean that they are.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:41 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
It means the plant has been I injured. It happens when you cut a plant, a stem or leaf gets torn, etc.

It's gas escaping from the plant... Sort of like bleeding but not really...

Edit: ninjad

Efhipimp # 428!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

If the line of bubbles is being release in a straight continuous stream to the surface, it indicates that there's an injury on the plant in that spot.

ETA: 3 posts saying the exact same thing at the same time. Yikes!

Tony

My

and my

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Too many ninjas!!!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
I always get a stream of bubbles coming from the flower of my anubias. So its not always because of a damaged plant.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the info guys and gals! and ninjas apparently...

SunSun Pimp #39
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've got another pearling question for you guys.....I've got a small tank I've been running at room temp for a few weeks. A few days ago I put a heater in there and the plants started 'pearling' like crazy..I'm guessing this was not real pearling.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
A few days ago I put a heater in there and the plants started 'pearling' like crazy

Was it over 200F? It may have been the water boiling!

I may be wrong, but I believe warmer water can hold less dissolved gasses. Dissolved gas may have been forced out of solution if the temperature increase was fast.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pearling occurs when the water is saturated with O2, but a true pearling appears not when you change some water in the tank, see here about this phenomen http://freshwater-aquarium-passion.b...h/label/Plants

- for people with passion for aquariums
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
In the heater case, Your plants are probelly pearling because the warmed water can not hold as much o2 as colder water. Thus o2 is defusing with the water and being released.... But if your plants arent damaged and their are little bubbles that form and group together on the underside of the leave this is pure o2 from your hard work. good job!! lol.... Unless you just did a water change
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreGuy View Post
I always get a stream of bubbles coming from the flower of my anubias. So its not always because of a damaged plant.
Same here, my sword will put out a constant stream of bubbles at the same time everyday for 4-6 hours. However, when I trim it the bubbles coming out of the cut area are literally 400-500 times the size of the micro bubbles.

The way to find out quickly is to check and see if the bubbles are coming out of the leaves or out of a spot in the stem of the plant.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g33tar View Post
I've got another pearling question for you guys.....I've got a small tank I've been running at room temp for a few weeks. A few days ago I put a heater in there and the plants started 'pearling' like crazy..I'm guessing this was not real pearling.
The solubility of gases in water decreases with increasing temperature. So, instead of the O2 produced being dissolved in the water, it will pearl and escape because your water has reached the maximum it can hold in dissolved form.
Maybe? lol
I know when working with the keggerator, a few degrees difference could mean nice beer or head filled glass

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode