Hello to the forum, new planted tank keeper here. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello to the forum, new planted tank keeper here.

I will post more to the forum later, I just registered on this forum when I saw Greggz thread about his rainbow fish tank. I am on a couple other forums, but as this tank and the 29 gallon I want to set up will both be planted I thought this might be a good place.

The house that I moved into two years ago had a 155 gallon bowfront built into the wall, and a month ago we finally were able to afford to set it up. Looking at different freshwater possibilities, my nine-year-old daughter said she loved rainbow one and later I saw she was looking at her picture of Boesemani that were a blue and orange and had some other color showing through in their midsection.

We have started the tank, while there will be other occupants the future fish are going to be rainbow fish. I bought through a wholesaler, more specifically through the couple that helped me set up the tank. They run a salt water store but have access to fresh water (they maintain tanks and it is the wife's hobby to do freshwater).

Our initial starting stock was four Millennium rainbow fish, 6 dwarf neons, and 6 Boesemani. They have been in the tank for about three weeks, the millennium started showing Ich after the first week but I believe I saved them all. One of the four millennium stayed silver, the others are already starting to show hints of the orange/red/cinnamon whatever is all end up developing into. Two of the 6 Boesemani have vertical black/dark bands starting to show already. We also have six gold barbs. We talked about a number of other possible tank mates, and fairly soon I will need to start looking for bottom feeders and or algae eaters. We also started with 14 Cardinal tetra, which I later discovered may not have been the best choice and that whole group succumbed to the ich.

I do have a couple questions. Tank journals seem to be the best place to keep kind of an ongoing record of my tank, correct? I am going to have a number of questions about things related to the tank, I was not sure if I should post those in that thread or make separate threads where they might be appropriate and then when I learned things repeat information into that thread. Also, I am currently using Google photo is a place to store my photos for online, you know if the share links from Google photo will work in the forum? I do not know why, but I have had forms before where that does not work and I need to find some other solution.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode