Biofilm in nano aqarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Biofilm in nano aqarium

Any advice for getting rid of the bio film that keeps forming on the surface of my 4 gallon nano tank? I originally had the output of my 2211 run through a violet lily pipe but that didn't provide any surface agitation.

I replaced the lily pipe with a spray bar pointed up at an angle and it provides a lot more surface agitation, but it doesn't seem to be breaking up the bio-film.

I can remove the film with paper towels, but after a couple of days, it comes back. I am battling hair algae and BBA right now, would excess algae make the tank more prone to forming a bio-film?

Any recommendations on getting rid of this nuisance would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1) with your lily pipe, all you had to do was raise it up to break the Surface area. I do this every night with mine before bed. For Oxygen Exchange, and to remove Surface scum.

2) do you have Shrimp in this Aquarium of yours, if so it is important to have bio film in your Aquarium, it is their main source of Food.
I have bio film growing on all 4 sides of the Aquarium, I only clean the front of the Aquarium for viewing.

3) What are your water Parameters, how much light are you using. Are you dosing any ferts?

4) What is your plant mass?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRon View Post
1) with your lily pipe, all you had to do was raise it up to break the Surface area. I do this every night with mine before bed. For Oxygen Exchange, and to remove Surface scum.

2) do you have Shrimp in this Aquarium of yours, if so it is important to have bio film in your Aquarium, it is their main source of Food.
I have bio film growing on all 4 sides of the Aquarium, I only clean the front of the Aquarium for viewing.

3) What are your water Parameters, how much light are you using. Are you dosing any ferts?

4) What is your plant mass?
I don't have shrimp in it now, but that's the plan. I did have 4 amano shrimp in there (1 adult I transferred from my other tank, and 3 juveniles), but they all died mysteriously. see: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88...infestati.html

Still don't know what the cause was, but am operating under the assumption that a lot of algae died all at once and it caused a nh3/no2 spike that killed the shrimp. I've testing the tank and everything seems to be back to normal and stable.

0 nh3, 0 no2, ~5 no3, 11 gh, 6 kh, 73 temp, ~250 tds, 7.2-7.4 ph.

I use a finnex planted+ clip light that stays on from 11 to 5, but the tank is in a room with many windows so it gets a lot of diffuse light naturally. I've been dosing PPS-Pro daily (mainly b/c the nitrates are so low).

The tank is heavily planted: microsword, crypt lucens, 3 java ferns, a bunch of java moss, and 3 varieties of buce.

Last edited by aubie98; 08-06-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: grammar

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Algae Grower

I see that your GH and KH are pretty high. Are you using RO water?
With your TDS I would shoot for under 200, and once it hits 200 do a water Change. My GH is 6, and KH is 2~4

I had this Problem with 500+ TDS, and had PRL CRS in the Aquarium. Thankfully None died. What the reason for this was. I was dosing way to much Ferts, and using tap water. I switched to RO water, and only dose when I Need too. Right now my TDS is sitting around 175~180.

As you can see in the Pictures that I have biofilm on my glass, even the back glass but it is hard to see, algae, and diatoms on lily pipe. I have not dosed any ferts in probably two weeks now. As you can see all plants are well even the red one which is Rotala wallichii. I have slacked on maintenance as you can see, I am keeping it this way untill the berried CRS hatchling get about 1/4 Inch so the fish wont eat then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0540.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	778649  

Name:	DSC_0541.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	778657  

Name:	DSC_0542.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	778665  

Name:	DSC_0543.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	778673  

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do use tap on both my 4 and 10 gallon tanks and I'm in nashville (which sits on a huge limestone deposit) so my GH and KH are fairly high. Don't seem to have an issue with biofilm on the surface of the water in the 10 gallon.

I don't mind biofilm on the glass of the aquarium or other hard surfaces in the tank, but it does look sorta scummy when its on the surface of the water. I don't worry about oxygen b/c the spray bar is really agitating the surface of the water, its just not getting rid of the surface bio film (yet, im notoriously impatient, so it may be the issue resolves in a couple of days).

I have thought about getting a RO system and mixing the RO with tap to get the desired GH/KH values (I would love to get GH down to ~7-8 and KH to ~4), I just haven't done it yet. Any recommendations for a RO system?

I'm probably only going to keep amano and neos (maybe blue velvets or sunkists) in the 4 gallon, so a TDS ~ 250 shouldn't be too high for them (according to what I've read on this site).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Algae Grower

Aquarium R/O Water Systems | GARNELENHAUS Online Shop

This is where I bought mine from since I am living in Germany at the Moment. They do have These on Amazon also. I bout the 190.
Take note to this though. You will lose a lot of water with These Units, so best bet is to invest into a bigger one if you can. If not you can always take a cold bath with the waist water from These Units, or water plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode