UV Filter.... The unknown - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
UV Filter.... The unknown

Anyone else on here have a UV filter? Do you use it with E.I dosing?

I stopped using it some time ago as it can effect ferts however if dosing E.I I figured it may not matter all that much since I'll always be overdosing anyway.

I turned it back on and WOW what a difference in water clarity... I mean completely amazing. No poly filter brings this much clarity.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Be interesting to know if anyone uses a UV filter on a regular basis or just intermittent.

Some pictures after UV filter being on for two days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deedledee and Deedledee like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:33 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
It's absolutely fine. Used one 24/7 for years without issue dosing EI.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Algae Grower

I used one on a pond for years without any issues. I'm saving up for a big tank now and I plan on using one from day 1. I cant imagine that the UV light would have any effect what so ever on ferts, but i'll let the more experienced way in on that. Nice tank BTW!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOBY View Post
I used one on a pond for years without any issues. I'm saving up for a big tank now and I plan on using one from day 1. I cant imagine that the UV light would have any effect what so ever on ferts, but i'll let the more experienced way in on that

Thanks Sloby for the input. Really appreciate it. I can't see it doing all that much either. Maybe a little but if you are EI dosing then based on flow rate of the UV filter there is no way it can wipe out all the ferts in the tank. Maybe just a few.

Any other users?

I have to admit this thing is fantastic I did underestimate it.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Algae Grower

I use one on a timer at night for about 12 hours. I don't see how they could harm anything. If your fighting algae it will help with at least the waterborne types and fish stay healthier too. Yes my water is always crystal clear too.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Anyone else on here have a UV filter? Do you use it with E.I dosing?

I stopped using it some time ago as it can effect ferts however if dosing E.I I figured it may not matter all that much since I'll always be overdosing anyway.

I turned it back on and WOW what a difference in water clarity... I mean completely amazing. No poly filter brings this much clarity.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Be interesting to know if anyone uses a UV filter on a regular basis or just intermittent.

Some pictures after UV filter being on for two days...

I use mine frequently & do EI dosing. I see no issue running continuously. I love the water clarity! I have the "Green Killing Machine "

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedledee View Post
I use mine frequently & do EI dosing. I see no issue running continuously. I love the water clarity! I have the "Green Killing Machine "

That's the same as mine. It's a little big for my liking but what a fantastic job it does.

I had it turned off for about 5 months but left it in the tank and my Apis laid eggs and had baby Apisto hatchlings in the tube of it. Was fun to watch but 4 months on now all grown up.

I will leave this on as the water clarity is a million times better.

How often do you clean this? I not sure how long the bulb lasts for.

Deedledee and Deedledee like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:47 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That's the same as mine. It's a little big for my liking but what a fantastic job it does.

I had it turned off for about 5 months but left it in the tank and my Apis laid eggs and had baby Apisto hatchlings in the tube of it. Was fun to watch but 4 months on now all grown up.

I will leave this on as the water clarity is a million times better.

How often do you clean this? I not sure how long the bulb lasts for.

It will go for about 6 months or more if you run it 24/7. I usually have it going for a couple weeks at a time. I haven't had to change a bulb yet, & I just replace the sponge filter when it gets dirty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode