How long can I leave my fish in a bucket? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
How long can I leave my fish in a bucket?

I'm planning a major rescape on my 90 gal. The tank has been up and running for about 8 months now. I'm finally to the point where I'm comfortable with which plants I can grow well, and have a vision in mind for a dedicated scape, rather than the thrown together mess I have now.

The rescape will be all plants out, all wood and rocks out, changing the contour of substrate. New wood and rocks in, and a full replanting of existing plants, and some new ones. I'm guessing this might take me 6hrs or so, maybe more, I'm not sure as I've never done anything like this before.

With this much mucking around I definitely want my fish out of the tank for their safety and ease of working.

My current stock includes

7 4-5" discus
3 dawf gourami
6 Cory
3 GBR
1 vampire pleco

Is it realistic to keep my fish in a 5 gal bucket with heater for this project? Do I need to add an airstone or filtration? I don't have any other tanks other than a 2 gal QT, and my 20gal sump, which is chambered. With as much change as I'm making in the display tank, the idea of removing the filter media, and placing fish in the sump just sounds like asking for trouble.

Thoughts and advice on this would be very welcomed. I don't want to put my fish at risk. I've grown out my discus from quarter size, and would be devistated to lose them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would use 20 gal or larger plastic tote (Walmart) with heater and air stone plus some filter material from your sump.
Should not take more than a couple hour's if your not removing substrate.
Would use cardboard template same size as bottom of the tank to practice arranging the wood rocks to see what look's best.
This will make thing's easier /faster.
Have reset my 80 gal more than a few times and to completely empty it and replace substrate,rock's,wood,and replant didn't take but a couple hour's .
I used 30 gal plastic barrel with afore mentioned air stone,water from the tank, and a couple pads from the two eheim canister's to hold the fishes while I reset the tank.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:17 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you are not taking all the water out and you don't have anything bigger than 5 gallon bucket, I would just keep the fish in the tank, a little bit more care will be needed, but I moved plants and driftwood countless times with fish in, moved some of the substrate too. It will be definitely less stressful than a 5 gal bucket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would be leary of all manner of organic matter being released from substrate which could cause brief ammonia spike when removing plants and moving substrate about as OP has suggested is the goal.
Is only reason I move fish out for large scale rescape's.
Is a bit different than just moving a few plant's or planting new ones.
Cheap Walmart tubs are perfect.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too many fish for a 5g bucket, but the 20 (18) gallon sterlite/rubbermade bin seems workable. I actually use two bins (one nested inside the other) for added strength when I do water changes (long story).
If just a couple of hours, a heater and just an air stone would be okay. Any longer and I'd opt for a sponge filter seeded with BB by rinsing existing filter media in the bin water. Speaking of filter media, you'll want any bio-media to go in the bin also to [better] ensure BB health. Alternatively, if you have bio-media in a bag, I'd just put it on top of an airstone in the bin to both preserve the BB AND process any ammonia the fish generate during the process. Taking these steps turns hours into days that the fish can be safely maintained.
This might also be a good time for a fairly large water change....just make sure to get the temperature right before reintroducing fish.
Good Luck!

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank w/40g sump.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice! My new drift wood is still soaking, so I've got some time to plan this out and make sure I get it right. I plan on taking the water in down to substrate level for the rescape. Anything I should look out for after I'm done and refill the tank? I'm imagining I'll need some time for things to settle down before reintroducing the fish.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just don't go hog wild and clean filter too much if any at all.
Say you were to bury some old substrate with new to create more depth in area's or for other reason's.This would in effect smother some bacteria living in first few centimeter's of the substrate.
Add to this possible cleaning of hardscape like rock's/wood,or replacing them,then more bacteria is lost.
This would leave the majority of the bacterial colony only in the filter so don't disturb it too much at all.
Bacterial colony is pretty fast at reproducing but I would not attempt to add more fishes than what you had in the tank for at least three week's.
More plant's than what you had would be good though.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Just don't go hog wild and clean filter too much if any at all.
Say you were to bury some old substrate with new to create more depth in area's or for other reason's.This would in effect smother some bacteria living in first few centimeter's of the substrate.
Add to this possible cleaning of hardscape like rock's/wood,or replacing them,then more bacteria is lost.
This would leave the majority of the bacterial colony only in the filter so don't disturb it too much at all.
Bacterial colony is pretty fast at reproducing but I would not attempt to add more fishes than what you had in the tank for at least three week's.
More plant's than what you had would be good though.
Good info. Thanks! I've got an enormous amount of java moss that will be making the move. I'm hoping that will carry a good load of bacteria.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
My input is- keep at least half the tank's water in a clean container, and when you're done put it back in the tank w/half new water, if you want to keep the pH and other parameters from being too different. Don't return to the tank the water fishes were in when waiting in a bin or bucket- I've read that they release more ammonia into the water when stressed, you don't want to return that to the tank. If you can't get a big enough bin to hold the fishes, get a few extra 5gal buckets and run airstone or small sponge filter on them.

I've done this procedure twice, on different tanks, once was for changing out substrate. Test the water after you have everything back in place- if the tank is going thru a minicycle maybe keep the fishes out longer. When I did this on my betta tank he was in a bin w/sponge filter for 2 days until the tank had stabilized again to return him.

But I don't have discus. I don't know if they can take the stress of being in a strange, barren, smaller environment that long.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode