Best Place for Wavemakers in a 55g? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Highseq

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best Place for Wavemakers in a 55g?

My tank is actually a 50g, but it has the same footprint as a 55.

Currently I have it set up with the fileter intake in the right back corner, and the spray bar return is horizontal across the left back side (about 18" total).

I ordered a two pack of SunSun 500gph (probably more like 250gph) wavemakers. Where would they be best positioned?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
My tank is actually a 50g, but it has the same footprint as a 55.

Currently I have it set up with the fileter intake in the right back corner, and the spray bar return is horizontal across the left back side (about 18" total).

I ordered a two pack of SunSun 500gph (probably more like 250gph) wavemakers. Where would they be best positioned?

Are you injecting CO2? In general you are looking to get complete circulation around the whole tank. Maybe one in the front left facing the right side of the tank and aimed down just slightly. This will push your return water back towards the intake side while also pushing the more oxygenated water near the surface down to the bottom.

For the second one maybe above the intake in the back right facing the spray bar if it fits. If you think you could benefit from more surface agitation you could position it in such a way that it causes ripples but doesn't "break" the surface tension.

I guess it also depends on how much you mind being able to see them.
ChrisX and ChrisX like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highseq View Post
Are you injecting CO2? In general you are looking to get complete circulation around the whole tank. Maybe one in the front left facing the right side of the tank and aimed down just slightly. This will push your return water back towards the intake side while also pushing the more oxygenated water near the surface down to the bottom.

For the second one maybe above the intake in the back right facing the spray bar if it fits. If you think you could benefit from more surface agitation you could position it in such a way that it causes ripples but doesn't "break" the surface tension.

I guess it also depends on how much you mind being able to see them.
Those are good suggestions. My biggest concern is the jungle on the left side; I'd like to get some flow through that. I was thinking about putting one low on the left side and aimed straight up.

I will be running them on a timer.

Tank is Co2 injected w/ Griggs, I didnt even think about varying concentrations throughout the tank. The drop checker is in a low flow position, if I have better circulation maybe it will reach green sooner after CO2 on.

Thx.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
Those are good suggestions. My biggest concern is the jungle on the left side; I'd like to get some flow through that. I was thinking about putting one low on the left side and aimed straight up.

I will be running them on a timer.

Tank is Co2 injected w/ Griggs, I didnt even think about varying concentrations throughout the tank. The drop checker is in a low flow position, if I have better circulation maybe it will reach green sooner after CO2 on.

Thx.
Yeah the more uniform the CO2 the quicker your drop checker should update, but the lag time will still most likely be significant. I'm not sure if you are aware or not but there is a video and a thread or two somewhere talking about how if you have more surface agitation you will off-gas your CO2 more, but also increase the O2 concentration. Basically they said that at a higher O2 concentration you fish are more tolerant to a higher level of CO2. Perhaps not too useful for most of us but just some food for thought.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode