Oops, Mini-Cycle, what did i do? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By ChrisX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Oops, Mini-Cycle, what did i do?

Yesterday cleaned the canister filter. This morning water cloudy, .75ppm ammonia. Dosing with prime and water changes.

During clean used tank water. Squeezed out the coarse medium sponges. Rinsed two trays of ceramic noodles. Removed and replaced the polyfill fine filtration on top.

Is it possible the that polyfil had the majority of BB, even more than the pre sponges and ceramic noodles? I did nothing unusual besides replacing the polyfil.

If the polyfil has almost all the BB, then it makes me wonder the efficiency of these media.

SunSun 302b.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
Yesterday cleaned the canister filter. This morning water cloudy, .75ppm ammonia. Dosing with prime and water changes.

During clean used tank water. Squeezed out the coarse medium sponges. Rinsed two trays of ceramic noodles. Removed and replaced the polyfill fine filtration on top.

Is it possible the that polyfil had the majority of BB, even more than the pre sponges and ceramic noodles? I did nothing unusual besides replacing the polyfil.

If the polyfil has almost all the BB, then it makes me wonder the efficiency of these media.

SunSun 302b.
Probably impossible to know for sure but maybe in the future don't rinse both trays of noodles on the same maintenance day. Did the rings look really covered in detritus and gunk? No doubt some bacteria is in the polyfil but I would highly doubt there is more there than in the ceramic. After all it is designed to have super high surface area.

Nothing could have dried out while you were washing right? Did you also gravel vac yesterday or do any tank maintenance?

If you are looking to try new media I have never had anything bad happen with seachem matrix. Maybe replace one of your trays with it and give it a whirl.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Planted Member

I have noticed a bump I. My cycle when removing polyfil. Bacteria will adhere to anything. However it should catch up quickly. If your tank is fully stocked, .75 isn't too much of a bump. Just keep an eye on it and use prime.
Last time I switched out poly I stuffed it in the bottom of the canister, under the baskets. It's not doing anything filter wise except keeping the bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 Gallon Bowfront Planted w/ Angelfish, GBR, Rummynose, Corydoras Aeneus albino, Mystery & Nerite snails
2x 5 Gallon planted with betta, Mystery & Nerite Snails
40 Gallon Breeder Planted w/ Blue Tetra

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeltheGypsy View Post
I have noticed a bump I. My cycle when removing polyfil. Bacteria will adhere to anything. However it should catch up quickly. If your tank is fully stocked, .75 isn't too much of a bump. Just keep an eye on it and use prime.
Last time I switched out poly I stuffed it in the bottom of the canister, under the baskets. It's not doing anything filter wise except keeping the bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. It turns out it was a contaminated test vial. Ammonia is zero. Water is also a bit cloudy so something is going on... but Im still cycled.

When I clean out the filter, the bottom is usually dark brown muck. I suppose it wouldnt hurt to put polyfill or extra noodles down there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode