Fluval Cycle - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Highseq

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Cycle

Hi everyone, I'm new to the page and wanted to ask if anybody has used Fluval Cycle to kickstart a cycle with fish, and if you have how did it work out for you. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planttank97 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to the page and wanted to ask if anybody has used Fluval Cycle to kickstart a cycle with fish, and if you have how did it work out for you. Thanks!
I tried it but I prefer using Prodibio Biodigest which in my opinion is by far the best bacterial product out there. I supplement it with Seachem Stability and Seachem Pristine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planttank97 View Post
Never used the fluval one, but I have used seachem stability and I felt like it helped to reduce the cycle time but this is purely anecdotal. I think most of these "bacteria in a bottle" type products supply the bacteria in an inactive state and it requires a bit of time for them to become active and start multiplying.

At worst I don't think these products will do any harm, but I think the fastest way to cycle a tank is adding substrate or filter media to your new tank from an existing established tank. Of course, this is only if you have access to one...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highseq View Post
Never used the fluval one, but I have used seachem stability and I felt like it helped to reduce the cycle time but this is purely anecdotal. I think most of these "bacteria in a bottle" type products supply the bacteria in an inactive state and it requires a bit of time for them to become active and start multiplying.

At worst I don't think these products will do any harm, but I think the fastest way to cycle a tank is adding substrate or filter media to your new tank from an existing established tank. Of course, this is only if you have access to one...
The Prodibio one is live bacteria and is in active state.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperOfASilentWorld View Post
The Prodibio one is live bacteria and is in active state.
Oh thats cool. I haven't heard of that brand before but thats interesting they provide a metabolically active bacteria. I might give that a shot on my next tank
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

I used it recently, I don't think I had a good outcome. My tank probably has it's cycle stalled because for about a week I was seeing 0 Ammonia but like really high Nitrites and Nitrates, Nitrites would never hit 0 even after several water changes.

Given that I am not really sure if the Fluval Cycle is causing this weird cycle, but I wouldn't trust it to cycle a tank. I'd go all natural next time with either filter media from an established tank or just fish food and wait.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod19 View Post
I used it recently, I don't think I had a good outcome. My tank probably has it's cycle stalled because for about a week I was seeing 0 Ammonia but like really high Nitrites and Nitrates, Nitrites would never hit 0 even after several water changes.

Given that I am not really sure if the Fluval Cycle is causing this weird cycle, but I wouldn't trust it to cycle a tank. I'd go all natural next time with either filter media from an established tank or just fish food and wait.
If your nitrites won't go down with several water changes either there is something in the tank decaying, or far more likely your source water has some level of nitrites in it. At least that is the only way I could imagine this possible.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highseq View Post
If your nitrites won't go down with several water changes either there is something in the tank decaying, or far more likely your source water has some level of nitrites in it. At least that is the only way I could imagine this possible.
Yeah I already tested my tap water and it's 0. I actually have another freshwater tank with no issues.

I guess my point was, Fluval cycle is introducing another variable to my cycle which is making it harder for me to pinpoint issues, so I'd avoid it if I can, but that's just me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode