3Likes
  • 4 Post By KrypleBerry
  • 2 Post By ichthyogeek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Reef Forum?!

So I've decided to setup a reef tank next to my dutch styled planted tank, but I don't know any forums that are as good as this forum when it comes to information and lot of members with real knowledge to help out. So do any of you know a forum just like planted tank, but for reef/salt water tanks?!
Would appreciate if anyone helped me out, since I didn't know where else to go, I thought I might ask you guys.
Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 PM
Planted Member

Fishlore has some great salt water members, and a forum section of salt water specific topics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 Gallon Bowfront Planted w/ Angelfish, GBR, Rummynose, Corydoras Aeneus albino, Mystery & Nerite snails
2x 5 Gallon planted with betta, Mystery & Nerite Snails
40 Gallon Breeder Planted w/ Blue Tetra
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Planted Member

I like cruising Reef Central from time to time, it seems like there's a lot of good info there. The DIY section over there is especially awesome, with some very cool projects.

I have MTS

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar EAZi View Post
So I've decided to setup a reef tank next to my dutch styled planted tank, but I don't know any forums that are as good as this forum when it comes to information and lot of members with real knowledge to help out. So do any of you know a forum just like planted tank, but for reef/salt water tanks?!
Would appreciate if anyone helped me out, since I didn't know where else to go, I thought I might ask you guys.
Thanks alot.
Wetwebmedia would be a great place to check out. Read, ask questions and learn from legends. Seriously, the team there is an all star group of aquarists practicing all aspects from fresh, planted, brackish to marine and reef and several of them are celebrated authors as well. Robert M. Fenner is the author of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, a start up bible for any saltwater enthusiast, and frequents the forums there as well. He and the team there are friendly and knowledgeable. If you need help with fish/coral disease, diagnosis and treatment they are immensely helpful there as well. Ive known and worked with some of those good people for the passed 10+ years and before that I was reading some of their books and articles. I was running a coral farm in so. California for years swapping info and ideas with members of that crew with lots of success stories. The book of coral propagation by Anthony Calfo is a helpful guide as well for any reef keeper with lots of practical useful information. He used to frequent the forum there but his business and publishing company took off and he is too busy these days to work the forum. He is a well known coral farmer and aquarist.
If you have any particular questions Ive worked with reefs and marine tanks as well for over 20 years, even designing them for movie productions, restaurants, resorts etc... even public aquariums in California. I wouldnt be surprised if I wasnt the only old reefer lurking around here.
Im digging deep for some old photos of my reefs, but heres a couple shots of some LPS, star polyps, Palythoa Polyps, a couple montipora sp. sps, and a crocea clam (my favorite giant clam sp.) See some zoos in there as well. Oh and this fungia plate coral is awesome... lol I love reefs. Pulsing xenia was always a personal favorite, especially the all white variety from the red sea. Some of the smaller reef denizens are incredibly interesting to watch. Pseudochromis Fridmani was a favorite in my tank and a voracious predator of bristle worms.

-Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170730-125528_1501444894028.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	776769  

Name:	Screenshot_20170730-125626_1501444911674.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	776777  

Name:	Screenshot_20170730-125611_1501444954343.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	776785  

Attached Images

Last edited by KrypleBerry; 08-01-2017 at 08:38 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have a SW reef system and a FW planted system, and love them both. I would say the most difficult this between the two systems is the "mental gearshift changes" you need to go through when working on one of the other. For example, canister filters. In planted tanks they are usually the ideal choice. In a reef, highly undesirable. There are a lot of others when it comes to lighting, filtration, and management.

A reef system tends to be a lot more expensive to setup and run, so you don't want to make any mistakes. It's much easier to wipe out a reef.

I highly recommend that you get a couple of books on reef systems, and read and study them first, just so you have the background. The net is great for lots of information, but it's all over the place, and when it comes to reef systems a lot of it is either wrong or obsolete or out of context. Here are two books I recommend for beginners -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

You can often find them at bargain prices at places like Amazon if your willing to settle for used copies or previous editions.

Planning and research is everything when it comes to any aquarium system, but it's really critical on a reef. Many fish and corals have very specific requirements that may be difficult to meet in your tank.

As for the reef forums, Reef Central is the largest, and lots of good information there. However, they do have a reputation of really being tough on new reef keepers, especially if you didn't read the existing threads on the subject.

If your planning on using Red Sea reef system setup, Reef Sanctuary has a lot of people using those systems. I post a lot there myself, even though I don't have a Red Sea system.

There are a lot of other good forums out there. If you can find one made up of mostly people local to you, you can often find advice on LFS and so on in your area. Also, join several and see which ones you like. If you find a better forum for you can move on.

Lastly, even the experts don't know everything and often the experts don't agree. It never hurts to get a second opinion. Someone may have a better idea or newer information.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:43 AM
Banned

PTrader: (45/100%)
I've been surfing nano-reef.com

Seems like a good forum. I'm thinking about making the switch to a Marine Innovation 10 gallon novo tank. Trying a reef this time..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I find that ReefCentral (or RC) has the same formatting as here, so it's easier to navigate, especially if you were here a few years ago prior to the big structure change. Nano-reef might be good if you plan to keep under 40 gallons.

As for books, I would like to recommend Hunt's The Mairine Reef Aquarium, as well as Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist.

I came into reef keeping by doing lots of research and reading when planning my tank. But yeah...some of the hard...butts, can be kind of idiotic and don't remember when they were experimenting with the hobby. Some people are incredibly nice though. Sk8r on RC makes some really nice quality posts. And reading the stickies is also p nice.

I'm on here, MFK, and RC all under the same name, so if you need help, then just shoot me a message and I'll do my best to respond.

Just some generic tips I learned the 6 years I operated a saltwater tank in the same place: Stocking is much lighter in saltwater aquariums; BUY A PROTEIN SKIMMER; A sump, while not necessary, makes life easier; The "pretty" fish like tangs, angelfish, etc. need at least a 75 gallon or larger tank; if you don't do your research, you'll rue the day you bought something.
DaveK and DaveK like this.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

nano reef

full of great people willing to help and a ton of info

reefcentral is another one
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I used to frequent Nano Reef, but its been years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No sense of style, just growing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
nano reef,reef2reef, and reef central are my goto forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode