Increase CO2 with Plant mass - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Increase CO2 with Plant mass

Hello Users...

It's been a while since a post in here but thought I'd ask likely an obvious question...

As my plant mass increases I.e more and more plants should I increase the CO2 levels?

I don't see my baby tears pearling all that much anymore and growth is slowed so figured this may be why.

I dose as per EI and plenty of circulation in the tank for CO2 distribution. All though my 70mm Bazooker diffuser is well hidden behind the plants at the back of the tank in the middle.

My drop checker is normally green/yellow at 6.2 bubbles per second on a 240litre tank.

However I have just change the drop checker fluid after 4 months no change and intent to move it to the other side of the tank once it changes colour.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.
Ben

Here is the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thedood and thedood like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Yes, as the overall plant mass increases, more CO2 and nutrients are consumed. Also flow becomes less efficient as plant groups get taller and thicker.

Think of the aquarium like a catered party with food and drinks, and a staff of attendants to serve everyone.

The tank is the room where the party takes place.

CO2 and nutrients are the food and drinks

Flow is the staff on duty, whose job it is to make sure everyone is served well.

The plants represent all the guests present.

Let's say the party was originally planned to have 100 guests. There is enough food and drinks for 100 people, and plenty of staff to make sure nobody's glass is empty.

Everything is groovy until somebody tweets a pic showing how much fun they're having, and before you know it 300 people more people show up.

Now all of a sudden, there's not enough food to go around (co2 and nutrients), the room is uncomfortably crowded (plants), and to make matters worse, there's not enough staff to serve everyone (flow)

Ideally you want to have enough CO2, nutrients and flow to accommodate the highest level of biomass the tank ever sees. This is easier said than done. And it's also why a good trim and thinning out can often solve often any number of issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That was an awesome explanation!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Yes, as the overall plant mass increases, more CO2 and nutrients are consumed. Also flow becomes less efficient as plant groups get taller and thicker.

Think of the aquarium like a catered party with food and drinks, and a staff of attendants to serve everyone.

The tank is the room where the party takes place.

CO2 and nutrients are the food and drinks

Flow is the staff on duty, whose job it is to make sure everyone is served well.

The plants represent all the guests present.

Let's say the party was originally planned to have 100 guests. There is enough food and drinks for 100 people, and plenty of staff to make sure nobody's glass is empty.

Everything is groovy until somebody tweets a pic showing how much fun they're having, and before you know it 300 people more people show up.

Now all of a sudden, there's not enough food to go around (co2 and nutrients), the room is uncomfortably crowded (plants), and to make matters worse, there's not enough staff to serve everyone (flow)

Ideally you want to have enough CO2, nutrients and flow to accommodate the highest level of biomass the tank ever sees. This is easier said than done. And it's also why a good trim and thinning out can often solve often any number of issues.

That was a fantastic explanation.

I have trimmed some plants reposition outlets for better circulations... however worried about increasing CO2 much further in case it will effect the fish.

See latest pic with plants trimmed. I did have a full HC carpet once but then I got ich and had to increase temp and treat with meds which killed it off. It's growing back now and it's spreading out but want more pearling and think it's down to CO2.

thedood, thedood, mbkemp and 3 others like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 12:16 AM
Algae Grower

That's a nice tank. I'm in the planning (and sorta setting up) phase of an aquarium, and something like yours, with a good balance of plants and hardscape, is what I'm shooting for. Hope you don't mind if I use this pic for inspiration.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Lovely tank. HC carpets never get old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok lessons learned... well still trying to fix the problem with glue and tape until the new CO2 tubing arrives.

So it turns out after buying a new atomizer that it wasn't this. There was a leak in the CO2 tube... not sure how long it's been leaking for maybe a week or so. Also not sure how dangerous that is anyone know?

Anyway no leak now and new atomizer on just need to order some new CO2 tubing.

I've probably wasted loads of CO2 also so will need to get some refills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post
Lovely tank. HC carpets never get old.

Thanks. It's about a year old but lost all my carpet when tank got white spot. The heat killed most of it but it's starting to grow back.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-11-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's a good lookin tank. What size is it? And what light?

Its interesting, in two shots your apisto's are congregated on the left side. What's going on over there that have them interested? I just latched onto apisto's today, so this is fairly good timing....I read that they like subdued light, but obviously you have enough to carpet HC. They don't seem to be bothered by it?

|
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Love the tank!

What light do you have and what is your substrate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

<--- My tank!!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just wanted to let you know that your tank is beautiful
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolba View Post
That's a good lookin tank. What size is it? And what light?

Its interesting, in two shots your apisto's are congregated on the left side. What's going on over there that have them interested? I just latched onto apisto's today, so this is fairly good timing....I read that they like subdued light, but obviously you have enough to carpet HC. They don't seem to be bothered by it?

They swim up and down prob just down to chance.

I have too many Apisto check my other posts with vids. Loads hatched just like yours I had 3 originally 2 female and 1 male. Now I have about 16 which is far too many.

It's 240 litre tank and I upgraded the lights diy. It is a fluval Roma 240 that came with 2x T8 but I also added 2xT5 so it has 4 bulbs now.

Watch the mother protect the fry it's quite fun. After about 8 weeks though she will turn on them and they will fend for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyv1714 View Post
Love the tank!

What light do you have and what is your substrate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The substrate is ADA aqua soil and slot of it. I'll try and find the picture when it arrived for you Bradley

Here you go this is when I first started the dry start

I need to fix the bonsai tree as I have killed the moss off with hydrogen peroxide. Just needs some fresh Christmas moss back on.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-11-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did some trimming and rearranging of plants

mbkemp, mbkemp, Bleuwater and 1 others like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode