LFS Pet Peeves - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
LFS Pet Peeves

Hi guys new to the forum, hope you and your tanks are doing well..

So I'm curious what are some of your pet peeves or frustrations with your lfs, disclosing store is not needed but if you wish to do so..

My first pet peeve would be when they store has an assortment of potted plants and none of them are labeled! I am one that wants to know what exactly what's going in my tank.

Second would be that store who keeps 55 gallon tanks with 5 or more species in the same tank.

Anyways got that off my chest feel free to share yours, heck maybe a store owner is out there lurking and can use this information to better a business.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1) I hate it when they act as if money is no object. I am setting up an ADA setup and I am located near an ADA distributor store. He thinks that essence I have an ADA 120-P (65G) that I can afford anything. He wanted to sell me 500 dollars for substrate. With everything that I have already bought (tank, stand, filters were used) I cannot afford 500$ for all the substrate stuff. My local guy gets everything he wanted for free for his aquaecapes but I don't think he gets that others have a life and things they need the money for other than tanks.

2) The stores that have schooling fish with only like two left.

3)When they throw whatever they think looks cool in the tank. But then all the random decor makes it look like a discordant mess. I bet this light up volcanos would go good with this pink gravel, oh these fake corals would look pretty good in my freshwater tank. Oh my I just have to have that limited edition sponge bob house with Gary the snail. LOL

At this point I'm just waistline tims

Waisting time*
Dfish2020 and Dfish2020 like this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-31-2017 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
My LFS does not really cater at all to the PT community. They have one tank PACKED with algea ridden plants, minimal hardscape material that isn't plastic. They do however have some really nice fish, and are always careful to QT new shipments before they offer them for sale. They also stock some great quality discus foods. I don't really have a local source for plants or other scaping materials, so I end up ordering online.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

Dead plants, or obviously unhealthy plants, dead or dying fish that should be removed/quarantined, unlabeled plants. Lack of Substrates available. Lack of stone and driftwoods. One very popular store that has a great selection of fish was selling Purple Waffle which is obviously not aquatic and I didn't realize it until I got home.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Non existent checkout people.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1) When we just show up to the store and a bazillion and 1 employees ask us if we need help, but then as soon as we do need help... they're all hiding. I can't count how many times this has happened.

2) Locally owned stores that don't care. One of them is just a petstore with a fish section. We've gotten some great fish there in the past, but boy has their quality gone to crap. Diseased tanks with sick fish.
There's another fish shop that is really hit or miss. Sometimes their tanks look great and then other times.. multiple sick fish with dead fish all over the place.
What gets me is at the 2nd place.. some of the employees actually know what they're talking about, but they just can't be bothered to take care of the tanks.

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 10:51 PM
Algae Grower

My LFS is actually pretty good. I wish they'd do a better job of training/educating new employees though. I often overhear them giving the same not-so-great advice that I've come to expect from the big box stores. The ones that stick around usually become more knowledgeable.
Sorry I couldn't complain more. If you're ever in the Chicagoland area, feel free to check out Aquarium Adventure in Hoffman Estates. I promise I'm not getting paid to say this. 😆
geektom, geektom, mrjbacon and 5 others like this.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When they know you know that they want to make a profit, and they still try to BS you into buying a fish that's not going well in the tank you've already set up. OR they try to set you up with a fish they think you don't know isn't good for your tank like a stingray, or a puffer fish, or any other type of potential problem fish. Alternatively, when the employees don't know jack crap about fish and you overhear them trying to sell a common pleco to somebody with algae in their tank. Finally, when the employee knows the fish is going to die due to no care for their diet, but sells the fish anyways (I've seen too many mandarin gobies go to bad tanks).

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
My LFS is actually pretty good. I wish they'd do a better job of training/educating new employees though. I often overhear them giving the same not-so-great advice that I've come to expect from the big box stores. The ones that stick around usually become more knowledgeable.
Sorry I couldn't complain more. If you're ever in the Chicagoland area, feel free to check out Aquarium Adventure in Hoffman Estates. I promise I'm not getting paid to say this. 😆
Stop....
Stop, I hate AA, I go to the one in Bolingbrook and I pay out the nose for crap. I bought 10 Praecox rainbows from them, they originally wanted 15 each, but they were 50% off, so 7.50. I get home and after 2 weeks, all but 3 are dead. I feel that the fish quality is OK, better than Petsmart or Petco, but the prices are horrific, completely overpriced. They want me to pay $75 for a stunted, 3" discus, when Chicago Discus sells stuff 4-5" at that price, and miles better quality.
My rant is now over. Join this https://www.facebook.com/groups/954727274614628/
Its a planted tank group in the chicago area.
Go to Fish Planet in Deerfield, great quality, great fish, great everything, prices are reasonable. $4 for nice sized praecox is not bad.
Tropi-Quatics in Lombard, IL. I have had a pretty positive experience with them, they sell Finnex Products, although their plant area is poor, the FW and SW sections are nice. They have fair pricing and do carry quality Discus as well as a ton of cichlids and a fair number of oddballs. They have many tetra species and their tanks are in good health, I have had one issue, but they corrected it when I brought the fish back the next day.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:49 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Stop....

Stop, I hate AA, I go to the one in Bolingbrook and I pay out the nose for crap. I bought 10 Praecox rainbows from them, they originally wanted 15 each, but they were 50% off, so 7.50. I get home and after 2 weeks, all but 3 are dead. I feel that the fish quality is OK, better than Petsmart or Petco, but the prices are horrific, completely overpriced. They want me to pay $75 for a stunted, 3" discus, when Chicago Discus sells stuff 4-5" at that price, and miles better quality.

Go to Fish Planet in Deerfield, great quality, great fish, great everything, prices are reasonable. $4 for nice sized praecox is not bad.

Tropi-Quatics in Lombard, IL. I have had a pretty positive experience with them, they sell Finnex Products, although their plant area is poor, the FW and SW sections are nice. They have fair pricing and do carry quality Discus as well as a ton of cichlids and a fair number of oddballs. They have many tetra species and their tanks are in good health, I have had one issue, but they corrected it when I brought the fish back the next day.

I don't live in Chicago but I have visited several times- there is a really nice shop downtown, in like a historic area? Has a nautical theme? I remember it being pricey but the selection and quality was awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:12 AM
Algae Grower

Bettas.

They shouldn't be sold. It's really heartbreaking to see them in the Little cups.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I have a decent LFS.
Typically 20 tanks filled with weekly plant shipments.
SW & FW fish galore, usually of good health too, at least 200 tanks.
That's the good part.

The bad part!
1. The poor information given to people about plants by the staff.

2. The sale of Flourish Comp as the one bottle fert that solves all.

I have seen people buy many dollars worth of plants that I know full well will not prosper in their environment they just described to a sales person.
Even stepping in a few times after the sales person goes away trying to recommend an approach and they will swear by the sales person's advice.
They're on their own now.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
When they act like they know everything there is to know about aquascaping, plant keeping and shrimp but half their plants are sickly and/or covered in algae and their shrimp tanks are mislabeled and have planaria! My LFS has a great atmosphere and a good selection of livestock but I'd never buy plants from them except for the tissue culture cups they offer, and all the fish I've gotten from them have died off over time and I'm starting to think it's their fault, not mine (or at least the fault of their seller, they're habrosus cories and I imagine wild-caught)! I had an employee talk down to me about one of the tanks he scaped, too... "None of the plants in this tank have common names, I'm sure you don't know them." Oh, shove it!
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Stop....
I guess I've never thought about pricing as a pet peeve. Its something I take into consideration for sure, but if something seems too expensive I just don't buy it. That said, none of the fish I've bought seemed overpriced, but I also don't go for the higher end stuff like discus and cichlids. Ill admit that their hardware is overpriced when you compare to online shopping, but that's pretty much the way of the world nowadays.
I'll definitely look into the other stores you mentioned. It's always good to have choices. Hoffman Estates is 15 mins away, but I don't mind a little extra driving if the store is good.
I'm not on Facebook, so unfortunately I won't be able to join that group. Thanks for the offer though.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A LFS by me has the most idiotic return policy. Pretty much anything that is returned is in store credit only. Oh, and if you buy a tank, it doesn't matter what the case is. Once you buy it and your out the door with it, it's yours. Doesn't matter whether it's leaking or something is wrong with it.

This really irks me about this place and so I have pretty much refused to business there because of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode