I've tried everything and my shrimp are still not moving - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've tried everything and my shrimp are still not moving

Ok, so I have a five gallon, densley planted tank with plenty of hiding places. and the question Is "why are my shrimp not coming out?". because they have been at the back of the tank for a long time. I'm thinking it's one of two things, first thing "do shrimp hide for a while after you add new things?". Two, ph might be a problem and I won't be able to find out ph till tomorrow. which one do you think is more likely? keep in mind I add seachem prime almost every other day, I add an anti bacterial every time I add a new items, and I just moved some shells plants and an air rock into the tank recently. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Algae Grower

I have limited experience with shrimp, but the couple times Ive kept them I did not find them to be shy or afraid. When the fish were running away from my scary hand, the shrimp were crawling all over me to investigate and pick.
Why are you adding Prime every other day?
Shrimp are fairly sensitive to water conditions. Did you make sure your tank was cycled before adding the shrimp? Id check things like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH, KH and copper to make sure your water is shrimp friendly.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
I have limited experience with shrimp, but the couple times Ive kept them I did not find them to be shy or afraid. When the fish were running away from my scary hand, the shrimp were crawling all over me to investigate and pick.
Why are you adding Prime every other day?
Shrimp are fairly sensitive to water conditions. Did you make sure your tank was cycled before adding the shrimp? Id check things like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH, KH and copper to make sure your water is shrimp friendly.
I cycled the tank for two days before I put them in and I add the prime because I have ocd and I am constantly worried about there health so input in one drop about every other day and I don't have a test kit yet it is next up on my list but I can take the water in to get tested tomorrow

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you don't have test kits how do you know your tank is cycled? I've cycled tanks pretty quick but 2 days is just wishful thinking. 1 drop of prime isn't very much at all in 5 gallons. I'd do at least a half a milliliter twice a week with a water change.

It sounds like you're tank is very new. If water conditions aren't the culprit, I'd imagine your shrimp are either feasting on the rotting portions of your new plants or died during molting (which would be due to water conditions). Do they move if you make them move? What are you using for filtration and biomedia?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRob View Post
If you don't have test kits how do you know your tank is cycled? I've cycled tanks pretty quick but 2 days is just wishful thinking. 1 drop of prime isn't very much at all in 5 gallons. I'd do at least a half a milliliter twice a week with a water change.

It sounds like you're tank is very new. If water conditions aren't the culprit, I'd imagine your shrimp are either feasting on the rotting portions of your new plants or died during molting (which would be due to water conditions). Do they move if you make them move? What are you using for filtration and biomedia?
I just took a sample of water to my local fish shop and the lady there said my perameters are perfect I have a little bit of ammonia but she said put a cap full of seachem in and it would fix that she also told me it's probably a temp issue and I'm getting a heater in two days
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Far from perfect. ANY ammonia means your tank is not cycled. A 2 day cycle is wishfull thinking, I agree with the above post. You jumped the gun and added sensitive inverts too early (on bad advice it sounds). You need to cycle your tank. Stop adding prime, its only setting you back. No ammonia reducers or removers will help. You need bacteria, nitrifying bacteria to be specific that require 48 to 72 hours to get started let alone colonize and exhaust food supplies. Once ammonia becomes nitrite, then zeros out and you see nitrite you are half cycled. Once the nitrite becomes nitrate you are there and can add fish/shrimp etc. I prefer to only add shrimp to heavily planted or well estsblished tanks as they feed on biofilm heavily and biofilm tends to lack in new set ups and the water chemistry in such tanks tends to be more stable. Look for bio spira bacteria cultures, they may shave days to a week off your cycle time but patience is whats called for here bottom line. Every aquarists success is based on their knowledge and ability to farm bacteria.
Kubla, Kubla, C10H12N2O and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypleBerry View Post
Far from perfect. ANY ammonia means your tank is not cycled. A 2 day cycle is wishfull thinking, I agree with the above post. You jumped the gun and added sensitive inverts too early (on bad advice it sounds). You need to cycle your tank. Stop adding prime, its only setting you back. No ammonia reducers or removers will help. You need bacteria, nitrifying bacteria to be specific that require 48 to 72 hours to get started let alone colonize and exhaust food supplies. Once ammonia becomes nitrite, then zeros out and you see nitrite you are half cycled. Once the nitrite becomes nitrate you are there and can add fish/shrimp etc. I prefer to only add shrimp to heavily planted or well estsblished tanks as they feed on biofilm heavily and biofilm tends to lack in new set ups and the water chemistry in such tanks tends to be more stable. Look for bio spira bacteria cultures, they may shave days to a week off your cycle time but patience is whats called for here bottom line. Every aquarists success is based on their knowledge and ability to farm bacteria.
thank you
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I dismantle the tank and sell the stuff inside?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I'd rehome the shrimp to a well cycled aquarium and let the cycle run the course on this one.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
I'd rehome the shrimp to a well cycled aquarium and let the cycle run the course on this one.
???
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by A251 View Post
No problem. Is this your only tank?
It just needs time to cycle before you can expect living things to thrive in there. All aquariums go through toxic then ugly phases before they finish off to beautiful aquascapes. As diferent microbiology colonizes and competes over space and resources your tank will undergo a lot of change all to reach an equilibrium. Best bet if this is your only tank is refrain on adding anything but plants, they will eat up ammonia as well and could naturally curb the toxicity in favor of the shrimps. Small frequent water changes will help til the water chemistry balances. Get a basic freshwater test kit, api has one at petsmart and similar stores. You want ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, gh, kh ultimately to break into this. Shrimp have a specific Gh and Kh range they prefer. Gh is general hardness, kh is carbonate hardness, referring to your waters buffering capacity (key to ph suitability). With these you can get your tank relatively figured out.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A251 View Post
No problem. Is this your only tank?
It just needs time to cycle before you can expect living things to thrive in there. All aquariums go through toxic then ugly phases before they finish off to beautiful aquascapes. As diferent microbiology colonizes and competes over space and resources your tank will undergo a lot of change all to reach an equilibrium. Best bet if this is your only tank is refrain on adding anything but plants, they will eat up ammonia as well and could naturally curb the toxicity in favor of the shrimps. Small frequent water changes will help til the water chemistry balances. Get a basic freshwater test kit, api has one at petsmart and similar stores. You want ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, gh, kh ultimately to break into this. Shrimp have a specific Gh and Kh range they prefer. Gh is general hardness, kh is carbonate hardness, referring to your waters buffering capacity (key to ph suitability). With these you can get your tank relatively figured out.
yes it is my only tank and thanks for the advice my.shrimp have been coming out now and I got a snail and he is thriving
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No problem. Give it time and it will balance out and become stable and easier to work with.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
No problem. Give it time and it will balance out and become stable and easier to work with.
you are one hundred percent right! I woke up today and they are super active swimming and foraging all back to normal!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome. I think the shrimp are just as fun as the fish. Lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode