Making the switch to RODI - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By AbbeysDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Making the switch to RODI

I'm almost finished setting up my new RO/DI system. In addition to using this water on a new tank I'm assembling, I'd like to convert my existing tanks to the new water.
I currently have two 20 gallon aquariums. The pH is 8.4 with a TDS ~700. I haven't quite nailed down the aged water chemistry yet, but I'm aiming for a pH around 6.5 - 7, GH 6 and KH 3.
I do weekly 50% PWCs on these tank. My uneducated plan is to just replace 1-2 gallons of tap water with the new remineralized water during the PWC and to just keep an eye on the pH until I get close enough to switch over completely. I say "uneducated plan" because I'm not basing it on anything... it just seems right in my head. I'm posting this thread in hopes of getting an educated opinion. Am I on the right track? I just pulled the 1-2 gallons number out of thin air. Is there a way of finding out the right/safe volume to mix in every week? It's been a while since high school chemistry class for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Planted Member

A ph 8.4 and tds of 700?

I'm in Detroit and my ph is 7.2 and a tds of 125 out of the tap. I can go weeks on end with no water change and the highest I've seen my tds is 350.

I'm not real familiar with RO water though. I know anubias don't react well to it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 02:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think I'd mix your tap water 50/50 with the new RO water (no additives) and test for TDS and gH/kH and see what you get. Then adjust as needed. Would seem a better approach than pure RO that you have to mess with minerals and pH.
Aqua99 and Aqua99 like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Planted Member

I think that's a good conservative plan. I have similar liquid metal type water parameters out of the tap and I mix close to 95% RO (not RODI, which takes out everything), with tapwater and my parameters are around 100tds, neutral PH, KH around 4.
I don't have to add anything to the water because even after running it through the RO unit it still measures around 75ppm tds. So I just add in a small amount of tapwater to get the mineralization a bit higher.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode