1Likes
  • 2 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
"No touch" dry start?

Greetings Everyone,

I am currently planning my first planted tank build, but since I will be out of the country for four weeks this fall, I was going to wait until I return before starting to add plants. Then I read about the dry start method and that got me thinking: if I start the tank using the dry start method a couple weeks before I left on my trip, could I leave the system untouched for the four weeks that I am away from home?

Is this a possibility or should I just forget about it and start things up when I get back from my trip?

Thanks!
TMQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Planted Member

Note I have not done the Dry Start Method personally.

From what I have read you keep part of the plastic wrap pealed back to allow for Co2 to circulate in the aquarium. Otherwise you starve the plants of that within no time. Secondary issue when leaving the plastic wrap pealed back is a loss of humidity which you need to spray or add further moisture manually. Perhaps someone else with experience has some pointers to solve your 4 week absence however I would just wait personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
Greetings Everyone,

I am currently planning my first planted tank build, but since I will be out of the country for four weeks this fall, I was going to wait until I return before starting to add plants. Then I read about the dry start method and that got me thinking: if I start the tank using the dry start method a couple weeks before I left on my trip, could I leave the system untouched for the four weeks that I am away from home?

Is this a possibility or should I just forget about it and start things up when I get back from my trip?

Thanks!
TMQ

"It's not so much about keeping fish or plants, it's about keeping clean water."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by katas View Post
Note I have not done the Dry Start Method personally.

From what I have read you keep part of the plastic wrap pealed back to allow for Co2 to circulate in the aquarium. Otherwise you starve the plants of that within no time. Secondary issue when leaving the plastic wrap pealed back is a loss of humidity which you need to spray or add further moisture manually. Perhaps someone else with experience has some pointers to solve your 4 week absence however I would just wait personally.
Hi Katas!

I have the ability to flow CO2 into the tank, so that shouldn't be a problem as long as I can "set it and forget it".

Regarding the water loss, I might be able to get someone to add water and mist once per week, but not more frequently than that.

Cheers!
TMQ

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dry start need frequent misting. Bad idea.

I would let the tank cycle for one month with plants.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Planted Member

would be "fine" with auto dosing & co2.. still a single point of failure if you are away should something go wrong.

"It's not so much about keeping fish or plants, it's about keeping clean water."

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Everyone

What about using an auto mister like this one? I could probably get someone to refill the auto mister once per week.

Cheers,
TMQ
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Impatience will exponentially increase the chance for failure with a planted tank. You've waited years to start your first planted tank, what's another 4 weeks?
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 09:58 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
Hi Everyone

What about using an auto mister like this one? I could probably get someone to refill the auto mister once per week.

Cheers,
TMQ
No, a humidifer will not work.

I also echo the sentiments of others; I would just wait until you come back to start your aquarium.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 11:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I recently flooded a dry start tank and like everyone said you'll have to frequently mist it, crack open the seal to allow some fresh co2 etc, definitely wait until you have the time to commit to it
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I tried this on a 2 week trip. Everything was going great but when I got back there was a yellow spot that, it started to spread and most of the plants died.
I had the tank sealed and co2 on a 2 hour a day timer..
Idk what caused it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
I tried this on a 2 week trip. Everything was going great but when I got back there was a yellow spot that, it started to spread and most of the plants died.
I had the tank sealed and co2 on a 2 hour a day timer..
Idk what caused it.

I believe the tank has to be aired out daily for at least 20-30 minutes to allow for some fresh air/co2 exchange, other than that, was the water level too high perhaps?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode