New 14 gallon tall w/ male betta - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 14 gallon tall w/ male betta

Howdy. I just wanted to throw this out on the forum, and see what kind of thoughts and advice I could get. To start with the basics, it's a 14 gallon tall tank. I used fluval spectrum substrate, and I haven't amended it at all yet. I have about two inches in there, but honestly after trying to put plants in today I wished I had more lol. Plants include s. repens, anubius, java moss on two rocks, bronze wendetti, cambomba, red tiger lotus and ludwigia repens. I had some hornwort in there at first but i yanked it out after it started shedding like a Christmas tree. For filtration I just have a aquaclear 30 HOB, and I muffled both the suction intake and the output "waterfall" to help keep currents under control. The lighting came from a Craigslist ad, not sure how old it is... both the bulb and housing are made by Current USA, and the bulb is 40 watts. Water conditions are still a little unstable, seeing as it's still cycling. But I use 100% RO water seeing as my tap water is disgusting. So my ph is usually around 6.5-7. Both GH and KH are routinely 0, which is kinda concerning to me, but I don't feel totally confident in my understanding of how these things work to actually try to change that yet. I do have a container of seachem equilibrium, but like I said, I'm too much of a noob to wanna use it.

So! I guess what I'm trying to get here is a couple of things.
1. Is my lighting sufficient for these plants, without being too strong to blast my Betta?
2. Do I need to start a fertilizer regimen sometime soon for these plants?
3. What should I do about the GH/KH? How do I use the equilibrium product? The instructions are hard to understand...
4. Do you think it's advisable to stock 2 otocinclus in the tank as well to control algae? I feel like they have lots of hiding places at this point!

And additional tips or info would be great as well if I missed something!!! Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170727_183420_1501207113933.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	775857  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did I post on the wrong thread or something?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Otos would depend very much on your individual betta's temperament - some have no problems with other fish, and others will kill even snails that are added to their tank. It would be good to have a backup plan for where to put them if it doesn't work out well. I'd recommend more than 2 otos as well, since they are a schooling fish - maybe 5 or so?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wasn't aware that 14 gallons was enough space for that many of them, that's why I was limiting it to 2... also didn't know they schooled, thank you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode