• 6 Post By thedood
  • 4 Post By thedood
  • 2 Post By thedood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Howdy Yall

First off a shout out to my buddy @Immortal1. I've been away for awhile. I had some health issues. I'm feeling much better and getting back after my tanks.

I have a 75g. I moved my plants and livestock into a 20g for the time being. the tank has been sitting there empty just waiting. Now that tank was looking good. I destroyed the whole thing moving plants. I didnt feel well to begin with that day. When I inadvertently pulled up what amounted to a dirt clod and proceeded to totally fill the tank with dirt and osmocote balls I through up my hands, moved everything, and waited to get healthier.

I will not be going with dirt this time. Dirt took a lot of the fun out of aquariums for me. No the results speak for themselves. Dirt is an excellent medium for growing plants in an aquarium. I had none of the issues with cycling my tank. It just worked for me. I used yard dirt. My issue is I like to move stuff around. Unless you plant in pots and move the pots dirt is next to impossible to move rooted plants like an Amazon Sword. So with that said I just ordered 5, 15 pound bags of Seachem Flourite dark.

I need to spend more time researching plants. I have figured out that a lot of fast growing plants do not work for me. I work a 9 hour day and have an hour commute each way. My time is limited of an evening and I dont have time to trim as often as needed. I love Amazon Sword but to me it seems almost to big for a 75g. It may have been my placement in the tank.

Speaking of Osmocote, I will not be using it anymore. When I pulled the sword up a ton of these little shells popped up. They were the remnants of the Osmocote. Another reason I am changing substrates.

Anyway I look forward to chatting with everyone and updating my progress. I'm going to be cleaning the tank, filters and other hardware this week so Friday it will be ready for the new substrate. As always comments, thoughts, and ideas are welcome.
Greggz, Greggz, johnson18 and 3 others like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well if Immortal1 is your buddy, you gotta be alright!!

Welcome, and looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Be sure to start a journal so we can follow along.

---
---
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:32 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Good to hear your still kicking!!! Was wondering how things were going with you - was starting to get a bit concerned. Look forward to your tank progress :-)
Still making coffee? definitely some good stuff!

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 07-25-2017 at 10:51 PM. Reason: <?>

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@Greggz Thank you for the reply. I think there already is a journal for this tank. I will definitely keep the journal updated. I just spoke with @Immortal1 on the phone and I am going with the same lights he uses, one of the satellite models. This is going to be a low tech and low light tank. So here is what we have for specs thus far:

Tank
Back painted black
5 bags of Seachem Fluorite - ordered
2 Marineland C-220 with Seachem Purigen and no carbon. Bio media will be a mix of matrix and pumice.
Environmental controls will be an @inkbird controller with 2 Aqueon pro 250 watt heaters and cooling fans
Lighting to start with will be 48" fluorescent and will be replaced with a Satellite Plus - ordering tomorrow

Plants
Crinum calamistratum
Melon Sword
Crypts
Anubias, I have a few
Some java ferns

Fish
Otocinclus
Cory cats
Checkered barbs
Lambchop rasbora
Cherry Red Shrimp
Nerite snails
????

More to follow
Greggz, Greggz, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Good to hear your still kicking!!! Was wondering how things were going with you - was starting to get a bit concerned. Look forward to your tank progress :-)
Still making coffee? definitely some good stuff!
When I come up your way I will bring you some. I'm ordering some more beans this week. I will bring some Sumatran up. Comes out pretty good on my el cheapo roaster.

Looking at some lighting options. I am liking the Finnex 24/7 se. Questions posted here (planted tank clicky).

Lighting has been ordered. After some research and invaluable conversation with @Immortal1 I ordered 2 CurrentUSA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus. Were going to give these dudes a shot and see how they work.
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-27-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode