Flow behind a background - some questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flow behind a background - some questions

I'm in the planning phase of my upcoming 58G (36x18x21) and am currently trying to nail down some of the flow-related details.

I'm planning on using a 3D background (likely Universal Rocks), with canister filter intake behind the background and an approximately 2" grated opening through the background. There will be ~2-2.5" of sand substrate in the main compartment of the tank, with the opening another 2-3" above the substrate to minimize the amount of sand sucked in.

I'm looking to use a circulation pump (currently thinking ~250GPH) behind the background to improve flow from the opening to the filter intake. I will also likely place some additional bagged bio media back there along the path of the water flow, to supplement the two trays' worth of Matrix in the Fluval 306 doing the primary filtering. I'm considering having the return flow through a 2' spray bar at the top of the background, back to front.

Basically, it should look like the attached drawing (view from the back of tank). Would the flow with such a setup be sufficient to clear the detritus in the tank, especially with it being medium to heavily planted? I'm thinking that 250GPH circulator in the back should be sufficient, but open to suggestions. Also, would the spray bar be more effective spraying side to side instead of back to front?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Would also be very curious to hear from folks with a similar setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Background circulation.png
Views:	21
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	774905  

Last edited by notabob; 07-26-2017 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Clearer thread title

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode