DIY CO2, ME, combined w/ canister = anger/frustration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
DIY CO2, ME, combined w/ canister = anger/frustration

Okay, I realize I recieved my canister used, but I didn't expect it to break. I now have to replace both the aquastop/lock-in clip for the hoses and the primer. No, I wasn't pushing to hard, etc.. they just flat broke on me.

I'm hoping they aren't to expensive because I am no royally fed up with DIY CO2. I know I needed to change from an airstone to a reactor so I figured one of the canister ones would be my best option. Inline to get the best CO2 disolvement throughout the tank.

Well, overall it hasn't worked worth a S*#@!. I can see that my single 2L bottle is not producing enough pressure to even put CO2 into the reactor, it might eventually but it isn't now.

This means another 2L and more time involved, maybe more than another 2L and overall this project has turned into a headache.

What I have come to the conclusion is that DIY CO2 is great for smaller tanks using intank reactors of some sort (i.e. ladders, power head systems, etc...) but not for large tanks and external in-line reactors.

I'm breaking down and as soon as I pull enough funds aside, even if that means robbing peter and paul to buy it, I'm going to get a GG full setup and install it with a 10# canister.

125 Gallon AGA w/ Overflows
Filtration: Ehiem 2026 Filter, Dual "Ghetto" Overflow Internal Filters
Lighting: 1x96W Current USA CF - 2x96W Generic CF
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The GG set up is nice.... But i was running DIY co2 on a 75 gal without much stress at 27ppm with hard water
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

How many bottles and what size though and what reactor?

Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 06:28 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry to hear your problems man.

I also used DIY for my 55 before. I used 2 bottles with internal power reactor and got about 20ppm of CO2.

If you use half tsp of yeast, sometimes, you need to wait 2 days before it has enough pressure to inject into the reactor. If I were you, I would use at least two 1 gl jug to supply the CO2. Even that may not be enough for 125 gl.

What canister's brand broke on you? Fluval? If so, I'm not surprised. Worst one I've used.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I recieved the Fluval used so their was probably damage prior to me recieving it, especially considering one clip was broken.

On my 55 Gallon with just an airstone I had noticable CO2 using a 1/2 Teaspoon yeast, 2 1/2 cups sugar and fill to 3" from the top of a single 2L. I was running about 15PPM (roughly since I didn't have KH test yet).

On the 125 I was being lucky to get 5PPM total. Which is why I took the time to put this thing together.

Basically I'm getting frustrated with everything. The living room tank, which is what I am working on, is supposed to be my pride and joy and I was happier with it back when I had my original 55 Gallon before the bottom seal on it broke.

Although I have come to the decision that I am going to start buying all the equipment for the wall unit and putting it on this tank one at a time. I'm skipping everything but moving my puffers to full marine slowly and this can be done in their current 55 Gallon.

Basically I'm going to replace both filters with Ehiem 2128 w/ internal heaters and get the glass-gardens CO2 system.

I'm going to pick up an AH Supply 6x96W kit w/ bulbls to have on hand. Then purchase the glass for the wall unit.

At that point I will move all fish/plants out of the tank. Tear it down ad build the new one.

It is going to take me a few months and on the top of the list is GG because I want these plants doing extremely good before moving them, but I am at the point that I want at least one tank to run to perfection.

Once that is done I can then take time to concentrate on repairing or replacing everything else.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 07:55 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hahaha A lot of work heh? Since it's a hobby, it's sure fun doing those though. IMO, much better than sit, doing nothing to wait for algae to dissapear.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, it is and isn't a hobby for me.

The more I get into this the more I enjoy it and I become more tempted everyday to open a fish store.

I have now successfully bred Corys and guppys. Yes, I know both are easy.

I'm going to be doing gouramis next, then try to find the trick to breeding Otos, since no one seems to know.

I figure if I can get my "Display Tank" built then build my fish room, which is currently piled with all the stuff my parents stored for me over the years , then I will be ready to look into doing a fish store.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

i too use diy co2 for a 55g with good resualts i use 2 2L , i finely bought a regulator an a 5 pound tank and its nice ,i use a 350 magnum i took the media container out and use the center core screen to cover the motor witch is at the bottom not on top like the fluval { i hear they air lock and damage there filter} i fill the whole cantainer with bioballs witch i like to replace with smaller bioballs its been working fine sofar , i put a sponge an ran the co2 hose strat into the intake and i can see why fluval gets air lock and the motor runs dry and breaks i can see inside my 350 an see the top fill with co2 by the time i see the gas gets mix in the bioballs and out the bottom its gone when it comes out to the return , i have seen at a store use a corallife ozone reactor insted of a co2 with great results on there 125g they use a fulval #3 inturnal filter to pump the water in an to filter too before it goes in the reactor ,i'm thinking of switching to that for $39. an its seal and it works the same way as a external co2 reactor, the manger says he had good results with it in the pass
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

set up's i've had on my 75 for DIY
1 hagen with ladder
1 hagen+2 2l's with ladder (ladder couldn't take it and the bubbles flew into ac 500 it works bu surface movemtn...
*ditched ac 500 added 2nd xp3*
*built python tube style in tank reactor(10 inch bu 2 inch with 350 gph runnnign through from xp3)
2 1 gal jugs into intank reactor (which iused 7/32 hole so it wasn't COMPLETEY airtight... still got good CO2)
3 2L's 11/64 hole around a bubble per second. bottles changed every 2-3 weeks...

Info...
It's cold in my basement so i need more bottles to get same production as a room at 80 compared to 60
8DKH on this tank

I'f you're hook up say 4 2L's it would do it
If you'd hook up 3 1g it woudl do it

Ps: in my nano 10 gallon my panda corys have doubled their numbers from 3 to 6 in a month
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Is your 125 going to be a reef tank? If not then you might want to scale back on the lighting a bit. 6x96 is a LOT of light for a tank that size. 4.6 wpg on a 125 is a monster amount of light. I would start with no more than a 4x96 kit on a 125. Larger tanks don't need as much light.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It is going to be planted. I will post about lighting in the lighting section momentarily.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode