Plants – How tall? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants – How tall?

How tall do you let your plants grow?

I visit a quality LFS during lunch maybe once a week. They have a real nice 125 Planted tank and they let the Rotella Indica grow up to the surface, bend over and grow another foot or more. It is at a corner but still blocks the light. What are the benefits or other disadvantages of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have a stand of R. rotundifolia in both my 40 and 125g tanks. I try to keep them a few inches below the surface, but ususally don't trim it back until it has broken the surface. The main reason I try to keep it below the surface is that if I don't it has a tendency to trap all the floating debris an can look pretty disgusting after a while. However, the baby guppies just love to hide in this debris field so it's not without its advantages.

The other plants that go airborn (Alternanthera, Ludwigias) I trim back as they break the surface so the leaves don't start dryng up from the lights.

—Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
No real benefit of it, other than to create whatever effect the person who owns the tank wants. If it drapes over enough, it blocks out the light for the other plants below, and w/enough shading, is detrimental.

I haven't been pruning my small tank for the last week and a half, and the L. repens, H. zosterfolia, and L. aromatica is draping over everything. It's starting to be noticeable on the foreground plants.

Eric

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
As Eric has stated, the height of your plants is going to depend on the effect you are trying to achieve.

If you are looking for a thick, "junglely" look, then you may want to let the plants get a bit longer and taller. If it is something more manicured you desire, than you may want to keep your plants trimmed low.

It is all up to you!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode