Can Chlorine Be Airborne? Any Doctors, Chemists Or Biologists? :) - The Planted Tank Forum
 23Likes
  • 6 Post By Dman911
  • 2 Post By AngeltheGypsy
  • 4 Post By RyRob
  • 4 Post By aja31
  • 6 Post By Dman911
  • 4 Post By KayakJimW
  • 2 Post By Darkblade48
  • 2 Post By Dman911
  • 10 Post By KayakJimW
  • 2 Post By Esteban Colberto
  • 2 Post By moze229
  • 2 Post By Chlorophile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Can Chlorine Be Airborne? Any Doctors, Chemists Or Biologists? :)

Dear Fellow Fish Keepers,

I am having some problems with my sinuses. The doctor say that I am supposed to put on a steam machine in my house for the next 2-3 months. Just like the ones you see in a new born babies room

This steam is chlorine containing steam because the water is coming from the tap. Will this cause a problem for my aquarium? Any chemists or biologists out there?

If it does cause problems, will dosing the tank with prime in a 12h or 24h cycle work? How long does the Prime's dechlorinating function last?

If I dechlorinate the water which I put inside the machine, will the airborne dechlorinater cause me health problems? Any info? Any doctors who are also in the fish keeping hobby?

I thought about letting the water sit for 24-48 hours before putting it in to the machine but I want to come up with an easier and more definite solution.

Thank you for your time.

Happy Fish Keeping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Why not just put distilled water in it? its like $4/5gal.

Using tap water in your humidifier should cause no chlorine issues with your aquarium. If anything I would think it would be at worst a mild irritant to your sinuses.

Dan
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Planted Member

I agree with the distilled water as well. Tap water has stuff in it you don't want to inhale other than chlorine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 Gallon Bowfront Planted w/ Angelfish, GBR, Rummynose, Corydoras Aeneus albino, Mystery & Nerite snails
2x 5 Gallon planted with betta, Mystery & Nerite Snails
40 Gallon Breeder Planted w/ Blue Tetra

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
If there was enough chlorine in the air from your tap water to affect your tanks, you'd most likely be dead and your city would have a lawsuit against them.

As far as distilled water goes, I buy 2.5 gallon jugs (about 6 a month) for my nano reef. Runs about $2.65-$3.20 for a 2.5g jug. My tap water sucks (1000tds+) and for the price of replacing ro/di filters, distilled water is very cheap.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
The chlorine won't be a problem though I would be wary about using distilled water in the steam machine depending on how often you refill it. The chlorine is there to prevent bacteria if you use distilled water and it is sitting in the machine for days you may be spraying bacteria into the air along with steam which will probably make your problems worse not better. I know you are supposed to bleach dehumidifier and similar things weekly to prevent that.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja31 View Post
The chlorine won't be a problem though I would be wary about using distilled water in the steam machine depending on how often you refill it. The chlorine is there to prevent bacteria if you use distilled water and it is sitting in the machine for days you may be spraying bacteria into the air along with steam which will probably make your problems worse not better. I know you are supposed to bleach dehumidifier and similar things weekly to prevent that.
Bacteria have nothing to feed off in distilled water and for most breathing machines such as CPAP you are only supposed to use distilled water. Tap water is full of minerals and organics bacteria can feed off and the chlorine dissipates quickly. Chloromine stays for longer but the bond also breaks down over time. I'm not saying distilled is a must but its a better option.

If you take 2 glasses side by side, one with tap and one with distilled (providing the glasses are sterile) and stick them in a window for a week or 2 you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

Dan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Also by using distilled water the filters on the machine last way longer. The savings in filter replacements more than pay for the cost of the distilled water. No mineral buildup to clean off either. But to answer your question, chlorinated tap water run through a steam machine will not create a toxic level of chlorine in the air. After all, they are also used for babies' rooms... I'm no Doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I have used humidifiers and steam machines my entire life. I have used both warm and cool mist types, and distilled water is where its at. Keeps the machine running/looking like new with minimal maintenance.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 06:32 PM

While unlikely, it is possible for bacteria to grow in distilled water

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
While unlikely, it is possible for bacteria to grow in distilled water
Possible but unlikely and when compared to tap water not even remotely close in terms of being able to colonize. There should be no bacteria in a sterilized container of distilled water and yet tap water contains plenty of bacteria to begin with as well as all sorts of food for it. The point I was trying to make is that chlorinated tap water is far more likely to produce bacterial issues/growth than distilled, not the other way around. But yes it can happen.

Dan
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I just got a chuckle thinking that distilled water is made via steam distillation. So using that same distilled water in a steam machine is pretty poetic in a full circle kinda way

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have started using distilled water just 2 days ago. I run through the full 2gal tank in 24 hours so the water doesn't sit and I wash the tank in between fills with tap water.

Thank you all for your help
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperOfASilentWorld View Post
I have started using distilled water just 2 days ago. I run through the full 2gal tank in 24 hours so the water doesn't sit and I wash the tank in between fills with tap water.

Thank you all for your help
Washing the tank with tap water that you put distilled water in seems kind of like cleaning your hands with mud.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 03:19 PM
Planted Member

Of course you didn't say how big your tank was so my silly example may just be... "silly" but just following a thought. This Vicks humidifier runs for 12 hours on one gallon of water. How much chlorine could really make it back to your tank after vaporization, dissipation, getting through any cover on your aquarium and back into the water.? Seems like a very minimal risk to me. However this is just one opinion and I hope your sinus' feel better.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 06:26 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperOfASilentWorld View Post
Dear Fellow Fish Keepers,

I am having some problems with my sinuses. The doctor say that I am supposed to put on a steam machine in my house for the next 2-3 months. Just like the ones you see in a new born babies room

This steam is chlorine containing steam because the water is coming from the tap. Will this cause a problem for my aquarium? Any chemists or biologists out there?

If it does cause problems, will dosing the tank with prime in a 12h or 24h cycle work? How long does the Prime's dechlorinating function last?

If I dechlorinate the water which I put inside the machine, will the airborne dechlorinater cause me health problems? Any info? Any doctors who are also in the fish keeping hobby?

I thought about letting the water sit for 24-48 hours before putting it in to the machine but I want to come up with an easier and more definite solution.

Thank you for your time.

Happy Fish Keeping
I'll chime in here, even though this post is a little dated. When evaporation occurs (as with your "steam machine" accelerating the process) the only thing you get is water. Any salts, chemicals, chlorine, etc is left behind. This is the main focus behind distillation. There is absolutely no need to have ANY concern about your tank or your health in this regard.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moze229 View Post
I'll chime in here, even though this post is a little dated. When evaporation occurs (as with your "steam machine" accelerating the process) the only thing you get is water. Any salts, chemicals, chlorine, etc is left behind. This is the main focus behind distillation. There is absolutely no need to have ANY concern about your tank or your health in this regard.
Only Solids. Chlorine is a gas so it will evaporate with the water!
It needs to be turned into a Chlorine Salt before it can be removed via distillation.
Although, you could also just let the water sit for 48 hours and it would all evaporate out by then also.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode